News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
Arcane Dimensions 1.80
AD 1.8 was released yesterday. It's a little buggy but Simon said he plans on a patch today.

http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/sp/ad.htm

Lots of changes and refinements from the last release. The most interesting for me is custom HUD's. Something not really seen in other Quake mods.

UPDATE: new links from sock:

Screenshot: http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/ad_v1_80_small.png

Downloads (v1.80 p1 final):
Sock - http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/ad_v1_80p1final.zip
EU (bal) - http://born-robotic.net/stuff/qstuff/ad_v1_80p1final.zip
Moddb - https://www.moddb.com/games/quake/downloads/arcane-dimensions-v180-including-patch-1
Mark V Compatibility 
I guess it won't fully work with Mark V since it hasn't been updated to remove more limits. Gotta push Baker, provided he responds. 
Finally! 
I'm so grateful to sock, Bal, Pulsar and the rest of the team for putting all this together. Both new maps are incredible, and I can't wait to revisit the ones that have just been made official. If there were a donation button somewhere for the team I'd gladly hit it a few times. 

I did a 'fresh' install, seeing as mod now has .PAK files. Using QS (non-Spiked)0.93.2, when trying to access additional hub (ad_chapters), I get this error:

Host_Error: Mod_LoadModel: maps/bmodels/sep_chain2.bsp not found

Just tried it in QSS and it loads the map fine, just displays that as a warning.

There's apparently some bugs and patch is going to be released https://twitter.com/SimsOCallaghan/status/1315771062374854658 

here's a trailer for Bal's map:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5F2BL1Hyjo 
Bmodels 
@gila, yes, it's a known bug. You can get around it while waiting for a proper patch by copying the maps/bmodels folder from the 1.7 version to the same place in the 1.8 version (i.e. you have to create a maps folder and put it there).

Amazing update. I'm checking every crepice in Bal's wondrous map and have 15/17 secrets, but still 2 to go. 
VkQuake 
Also, vkQuake crashes when trying to load a save while in game. The saves load fine when restarting. Switching to QS for now. 
Bal's Map. 
Definitely a new Marcher for a new generation. 
The Patch 1 Is Out 
How To Reinstall The Maps Addons? 
Well, I don't understand this update. There's no maps, gfx, etc folders. I have severals maps made for AD by other mappers, mixed with the old 1.7 AD maps and other ressources. How should I reinstall them all back into the new version of AD? 
Barnak 
You should install AD 1.8 in a clean folder. And if you want to run older custom AD maps you should reinstall them into the AD 1.8 folder. All previous official AD maps are already included in AD 1.8 (inside package files). 

Cool! A quick bug report from when I was first starting it up to poke at it this evening:

Running the patched version with QSS (latest master branch as of right now), I was curious if there were other HUD layout options so after I loaded ad_akalakha I tried pressing H to cycle HUDs. That just generated a message saying "custom HUDs not supported". Also pressing TAB didn't do anything (like show monster count).

I made a save, quit out, then restarted and loaded the savegame. I tried changing scratch1 manually to different values and that did change the HUD.

And now pressing H works to cycle HUDs, and TAB works. 
Woo 
Thanks for making a topic here! We we're pretty swamped getting first patch up to fix the biggest issues, and wanted to only post to Func once it was done.

Apart from the new maps, the new version is also a lot of new code and features, so there will probably still be some bugs to track down.

Joel B, yeah I've read reports of similar issues. One thing to note is that some of the Dev builds of QSS aren't so reliable for these new features, we recommend using the latest official one, which Sock has mirrored here.
http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/qss_29082020_win64.zip 
I Jumped The Gun 
I was just so excited I couldn't help but share. I don't want to 'fanboy' too much but AD along with QSS really is the new Quake game I've yearned after for years. A new release is like Halloween's come early! 
Tears Of The False God 
This is an incredible map. Certainly the most beautiful Q1 map I've ever seen, and man, what a journey. The last battle (not that one, the true one ... :)) gives the word epic a new meaning. I still need to find four secrets, but I think I've unearthed the most important ones.

Thank you so much Bal, and good luck topping that. (you or anyone else for that matter).

(Oh, any chance we get to see more of the City of Pale eventually?) 
#10 Pulsar (and Others) 
Ok, I understand that I'll have to put back lots of other maps and ressources made for AD, but there are tons of them! What should be the best process of reinstalling them into AD 1.80, without dupplicating some old AD ressources?

Many of these custom maps are using special ressources (like custom skybox, sounds, music, etc), and it's now a freaking pain in the arse to locate them all. Any idea about the best way of doing this? 
Barnak 
Barnak 
Just leave them where they are at, they haven't stopped working.

Install AD 1.8 fresh and place any new AD(1.8) content going forward into the new installation.

Problem solved. And not a freakin' pain in the arse, as you stated it ;) 
Program Error With QSS (Mac OS)! 
The Mod doesn't start!

I installed a fresh copy of AD 1.80, without any addons at all, and launched QS (Spiked, MacOS version). When I select the AD 1.80 mod from the menu, the console says "program error". And I'm unable to launch any map from the mod.

The mod works with the QS version (not the Spiked one).

So AD 1.80 needs a fix for the QSS MacOS, or QSS MacOS needs a fix. AFAIK, I have the latest QSS available for MacOS. 
Gug, Ever? 
They added even more knight enemies, so it'd be nice to have something beastial to balance that out someday. I always liked the gug from Quoth, but the AD guys don't seem to :( 
No Gugs 
Never learned how to properly the Gug, or never bothered. A ridiculous hard to avoid attack that devastates at close range, duplicates itself at medium range, and at long range the monster can just arbitrarily hurt you even when line of sight is broken.

Thanks for the update, I'll check out the new maps when I finish with the Ter Shibboleth update. Having jump boots and a grappling hook in AD sounds sweet. 
My Oh My, Oh My... Like A Wise Man Once Said... 
...Bal, I want to do rude things to your penis.
This may be the most spectacular, good looking, best playing map evah!

This is so much off the scale on so many levels...so overewhelmingly good.

Thank you!

(slight bug, sometimes reloading a quicksave kills you and the map starts over. Re-quickload fixes things)

[url=https://ibb.co/8jwfcHR]1st run[/url] 
Nailgun? 
I notice that in 1.8 the Nailgun is swapped for the Super Nailgun once you got the later, much as the Thunderbolt is swapped to the Plasma Gun. Guess this is on purpose? Got to say that I sort of miss the Nailgun. 
Widowmaker Ever Going To Get Its Own Sound? 
I never liked that the Widowmaker reused their SSG firing sound, but poking around in the files, the Widowmaker has two totally separate firing noises, but relies on ssg2.wav, and they're really beefy and great. Would love to see hear them in-game without having to mod out the ssg2.wav.

@lpowell. They could definitely change him up, as they have the other Quoth enemies. But this many years into AD, I guess their sights just aren't on it. 

The Gug is perfect. Don't fuck with it! 

There's always Qmaster's keep mod 
+1 To Otp 

RE: Nailgun? 
@arkngt There's a new feature in 1.80 which defaults to ON that makes your next weapon & previous weapon functions skip the Nailgun when you have the Super Nailgun. I think it should be off by default personally, though I bind all the weapons anyway.

You can use 'impulse 168' to toggle it off/on (only documented in the ad_v1_80p1 changelog), or read the quake.rc file and modify the temp1 variable accordingly (add 2097152 to your temp1 variable). The latter method will persist even if you close and restart the game. 
Tears Of The False God - AD 1.80 
Spent my evening playing it. Getting away. Coming back. This is such a masterpiece. I had to stop many times to just let my bottom jaw coming up again. I can think of many amazing Quake maps along the path but this is going way beyond the wildest imagination. Wow. Splendid curvatures. Beautiful shiny blue water everywhere. Wondrous scale. These pillars, these walls...Mmmmhh. What a labour of love ! Really. How many hours days of work, Bal ? I can't wrap my mind around this outerworldly sense of freedom I felt tonight, escaping confinement into such a dreamy place. Thank you. From the bottom of my heart !

164:47 14/16 600/600 Skill 0

* I loved the gameplay. Great monster variety. The shardhunt was priceless. Besides the unkillable nours I went my sweet way but OMG, I had to finally cheat my way through the last arena... (OK. Trying to avoid spoiling to much for now).

* I noticed a missing sound/sound/ogre/ogidle2.wav in the console. A sound/ to much in the filepath somewhere probably ?

* On MacOS here too. I confirm the QSS 0.92.2 error and no mod start on launch. But played fine with QS 0.93.2

* And wtf is this constant "chaos system not active" centerprint nag ? I tried to set scratch2 and scratch3 to 1 in the console but then I got that other "random seed (not set)" centerprint and I gave up...

Again, million thanks to all of you guys involved, for such a devotion and incredible creativity. And for all these hours of pure fun you're giving us. Really. 
@strangebit 
Thanks for the info! I must bind my weapons btw. Have used the scroll wheel to cycle weapons since forever, which is far from ideal. Will check on how to do it. 
Bal On Evil 
@JohnXMas, did Bal's map on Evil difficulty yesterday and, yes, the final battle was completely insane, in a good way. The entire map is such a work of art. Amazing. 
Upgrade. 
Bal's. 702/702. 16/16.
Now on to harder difficlties. 
Chaos Centerprint Solved 
"r" assigned to "impulse 190" in AD quake.rc was conflicting with my usual "r" "+speed" config bind. Geez. Fixed now. 

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/436213333310439435/766447548394897468/unknown.png

The craziest fucking map ever made, Dark Souls IV and V in one bsp file, one that will define entire generations of level design. 
Hell Yeah 
WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Now this is what I'm talking about!

Excellent map design enhanced by even the smallest of engine tweaks goes a long way to improving what can be done. There's very little I can say to really impress just how amazing the work of the past year has been. Just bravo! Bravo! 
Tried It On FTEquake 
How do I save settings after quitting the game? It resets graphics on defaults on the next launch. 
Hunting The Last Secret 
PERHAPS SLIGHT SPOILER?

So now I have 15/16 secrets in ad_tears, which is more annoying than when I was missing 2. Anyway, hunting for the last one I happened upon this strange board or whatever it is in the last arena. Does anyone know what's up with it?

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/ad_tears_01.jpg 
Spoiler 
It's a clock, measuring your completion time of the super secret arena in seconds. 

@onetrupurple, that's awesome. Thanks! 
Custom HUDS Error 
I can't change the HUD (version 1.8 Patch 1) when pressing H anymore. The only thing I'm getting is a "[Impulse] Custom HUDs not supported" error message. I'm having this issue in vkQuake (1.04.1, Win64) and Quakespasm-Spiked (0.93.2ish, Win64). Any ideas what the reason for this could be? 

Of course, Tears of the False God is amazing. Both boss battles arenas are great, especially the "below" one. The music and overall visuals of white textures and bright blue water reminded me of a mix of Ulduar, Vortex Pinnacle and Storm Peaks from WOW.

Also liked Akahlakhalahlahka a lot as well, sort of like a mini-Sepulcher'y thing. Sand castle and Grendel's Blade I played as separate releases that were before, are there any changes/updates for them in the AD1.8? Or any other maps from previous version(s)?

I noticed that AirTank in Tears map displayed a message "now you can BREATH underwater", shouldn't it be "breathe"?

Also, shouldn't finishing the maps started from the ad_chapters hub send players back there, instead of the main start hub? 
@gila 
Nyarlathoteps Sand Castle is changed for the AD release. Mainly monsters and secrets/rewards. For exmaple, you can't get the Widow Maker right from the start now, which is more balanced IMO.

I do think the ending is too hard now on Evil difficulty. I mean, I've done it twice so it can be done, but it's more annoying than fun now IMO.

@Berzerk2k2, the customizable HUD seems to be a bit glitchy with QSS. For me it works most of the time, but I've also gotten the message once - and then it worked again when restarting. 

*example*

Oh and Grendel's Blade seems to be exactly the same as before, unless I've missed something. 
Ok, That's Enough Shards For Today 
So I understand the appeal of Tears Of The False God (ad_tears), this is basically Paradise Sickness(ad_paradise) meets Outer Sea Ruins(jjj_pinchy). A LOT of effort and hours of gameplay. Started playing today, gave up after finding 13 shards and took the path to exit portal... only to discover that it's not exit portal! And there's final grand showdown!

At the end of this day I've found 15/16 shards, 12/16 secrets and 389 kills. Where's the last one, you know which one I mean?

p.s. I don't know if its bug or feature, but some torches and fire dishes, for example ones near the ascension portal still burns at touch even with fire shield equipped.

Also I like the revamped Nyarlathoteps Sand Castle with explosion belt and stuff at the end, not being able to inflict infight between fire and acid shamblers was kind dissappointing but final battle was worth it anyways. https://i.imgur.com/ugHzpkJ.png Good that you can finish this map without touching a half of all Q-pedestals, this nonlinearity is so cool.

Now about revamped classic campaign.
I noticed that first episode can be finished just from starting ad_s1m1 from arcane_chapters and playing it to the very end. This basically blocks player from starting episode 1 through basement, entrance to e1m1 slipgate will be blocked (why block them at all?). Also, the idea that you can obtain runes from standard quake and not AD maps' secrets and vice versa is great.

Now I kinda expect that you AD guys will add 37th Relic Retrieval (37_hcm1) to the collection, its scale and enthusiasm makes it match other official mod maps. It's not ideal, and certainly could use some polish/optimization, otherwise... just look at it yourselves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhL1vyD2vSg Such good and big base maps are so rare. 
@arkngt 
Grendel's Blade is just perfect as is, so good that it is a part of official primary map pack. So many hours on it spent with joy and fun. 
@arkngt 
Unfortunately it's not working for me but since I wanted to play with the default HUD anyway I just disabled them in "quake.rc". As impressive as it is to have custom huds now I still prefer the vanilla one.

Now if only AD 1.8 would work fine in vkQuake. I'm getting much better fps there compared to QSS (tested in "Tears of the False God") but unfortunately AD will crash every time you die when running it through vkQuake so QSS seems to be the only workig way at the moment. I hope a future patch will include vkQuake as a supported source port. 
@So Rangers Name's Jim? 
Agreed, one of my all time favourites. Must have played it 10-15 times. Agree about 37th Relic Retrieval as well. Not sure if all good AD maps must be in the main release, but it's an amazing map. 
I Also Vote For 37th Relic! 
and also to ad_heresp1- Oxyblack Fortress and ... oh god ! there are many : sp_maxx, heresp5_rev, ad_beep1m2, 

At the end of this day I've found 15/16 shards, 12/16 secrets and 389 kills. Where's the last one, you know which one I mean?

If you've found 15 shards, then you must have entered at least one of the portals from the other way around. Did you try this with both of them? 
16/16 
Finally found the last secret in ad_tears. Must have spent a couple of hours just hunting the last ones.

Speaking of secrets, does anyone have a 100% demo of Arcane Adamantine? I must have played it 5 times, but there are several secrets I can't figure out - plus I can't find all those grids to destroy either. Frustrating. 
Arcane Adamantine 
Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aFgLFBaLZU

I gave up on the last secret in "Tears ...", although I killed everyone. I assume there is a way to visit the circular hall surrounding the final area of the True Source, but I haven't found it (and that may not be a secret anyway).

With all this well-deserved talk about Bal's map, let's not forget Pulsar's. I had the same feeling about it being a mini-Sepulcher, and its placement in the hub is therefore very fitting. I searched for the Swamp Key for such a long time... but in the end managed to find all secrets. The map has way more to offer than might appear at first, and also reminded me of ionous' map from a recent jam (forgot the title, it's the one you can choose to either exit pretty quickly or explore thoroughly to find its many, many secrets).

Speaking of ionous and Pulsar, Leptis Magna is one of my all-time favourites, and I'd be very happy to see the result of another collaboration. 
@arkngt 
don't have the demo, but here's 100% walkthrough on youtube. https://youtu.be/3aFgLFBaLZU 
@Gioyo3aa 
> I assume there is a way to visit the circular hall surrounding the final area of the True Source, but I haven't found it (and that may not be a secret anyway).

Blast Belt + Rocket Launcher + Quad may do wonders.

Leptis Magna is the masterpiece, one of the best maps out there. 

If you do a full metroidvania approach to level design, probably you should add triggers to display territory/room names, just like with secrets in ad_tears but they appear every time you visit them, like area names in WoW when you approach them. 
Tnx 
@Gioyo3aa & @So Rangers name's Jim?, much appreciated! 
@Gioyo3aa 
What @So Rangers name's Jim? said. There's a quad on the cliffs outside the arena, which seems to be placed there just for that. The gallery doesn't count as a secret. 
I agree about the zone/area names!

Not to mention that the secrets actually kind of display that, although only once, for example "North Tower Top" or "The Lost Tunnel".

Forgot to mention but I liked the metroidvania style where items allow access to new areas. 
A Couple Of Questions 
First off, Arcane Adamintine was really elevated by finding all breakable grids and unlocking the secret behind the place. Can't believe I've played it for years without succeeding doing so (especially as the grids I've been missing were in plain sight).

Anyway, the custom HUDs have made me switch to QuakeSpasm Spiked as I really like the Quake Champion-inspired HUD. Is there a way to lock the HUD so it always is the one you want? As it is, I have to set it to my favorite each time I load the game. Not a big deal of course.

Also, is it possible to turn of the particles for the weapons somehow? I kind of like everything else in AD Spiked, but the weapon particles are not my cup of tea, plus the effects can make it more difficult to actually see the enemies you are firing at.

Lastly, I have an odd issue with the sound with AD 1.8. It often sound like it's ”too loud”, resulting in distortion. In AD 1.7 I don't have the issue. I compared the start map of Arcane Monstrosity in both and with 1.8 it sounds distorted and ”too loud” as said, while it sounds just fine in 1.7.

It's weird as I have no idea what might be causing it. The settings seems identical when checking the configs. 
Woo 
Hey everyone, thanks for the all the kind words!
Spreading out the credit a bit for my map, it wouldn't be what it is without Sock, Makkon and Markie, powerful Code/Texture/Music wizards.

arkngt : Custom huds, you can edit quake.rc in the mod folder, look for sratch1 and put the HUD you like best there.
Not sure you can disable just the weapon particles, but in that same file you can switch back to old-style particles by setting temp1 to 512.
No idea about the sound issues! I don't think AD is doing anything specific there... sounds more like random engine issues... :(

Gioyo3aa : There's a way to reach the circular hall in the Sanctum without rocket-jumping, but haven't seen anyone do it yet (you only get one chance to get to it).

Thanks for everyone reporting bugs (even spelling mistakes), if/when there's a future patch we'll fix as much as we can. 
Another Problem With Classic Quake Campaign. 
After beating Shub game won't return to start map, player is locked in camera looking on ranger and game doesn't allow to do anything, basically game-breaking glitch. This was on standard quakespasm. 
I think that's how it was in original game. It's the very final end of the game, so there was no point of making player go back to start.

Another issue I reproduced twice is that if you teleport at the wrong time when the spiked sphere is not going through Shub, it (sphere) will stop right before Shub and just hang there rotating in place, preventing from successully telefragging it even if you do get out of lava and try again. 
17/10 Playthrough Of Bals Map 
Re: Sound Issues 
@Bal, thanks, I'll edit it in quake.rc!

Regarding the sound issues, I've recorded two short clips to show the difference. This is with QSS, but it's the same with QS and vKQuake.

First, how it sounds with AD 1.8:

https://youtu.be/S1lAZd5_HEU

Second, the same with AD 1.7:

https://youtu.be/PQpqlr7oQcI

The settings for sound seem to be the same in both cases. Weird. 
Longer Clip 
Slightly longer clip with the sound issues:

https://youtu.be/gJJdooHRmCw 
Arkngt 
It's hard to compare those 2 vids, cause the 1.8 metmon has an extra ambient sound at the start (that pulsing sound, which is indeed clipping in your vid).
That sounds does clip quite a bit when I put the volume too high, what is your volume at? 
Ad_akalakha Swamp Key 
any idea where I can find the swamp key in ad_akalakha?
6/10 secrets atm. 
@Bal 
I have the sound at max and music at a third, but it doesn't help to lower the sound either in Quake or Windows (or both).

I have the same issue in the final arena of ad_tears, which also have some kind of pulsating sound IIRC. It's as if that sound overwhelms everything, making all sounds distorted. 

Guess clipping is a more correct term. 

I want another kind of jump boots or smth, which makes you dash forward. Kinda like in Doom Eternal (Bloodshot did some similar feature in Slayer's Testaments Quake Mod), so you could gain some instant forward momentum, basically jump module from Half-Life, simplyfiyng bunnyhopping start and allowing to GO FAST, and NOT slowing down to base speed after landing/dash stop. This was actual feature in SlayerTest, they scrapped it, but imo you could make whole maps built around this long speedy jumps(inb4 Tribes/defrag/xonotic). 
@AN 
It's seen right from your spawning position in the beginning, if you know exactly where to look. 
Jump Boots: Cont. 
I seen that in test map with grappling hook, when you use jump boots with hook they propel you forward instead of upward, I want that effect in regular jump boots, probably on different key. 
So Rangers Name's Jim? 
Check out the test_artifact_jboots map, they have a few options, including forward momentum on second jump.
There's always been a strong stance to not add any obligatory new keys, that's really awkward cause people will usually unbind it / ignore it / not understand how it works. 
@So Rangers Name's Jim? 
thanks, looking for it I found all the other secrets, 10/10 now :) 
@Bal 
Yeah, thats it. Thank you! 
@Bal 
Please check the outside areas of your map again. In some places outside the framerate goes down by a huge amount (down to ~ 50 fps). Would be cool if you could see if there's a way to tweak these areas to avoid such a massive fps loss. 
@Berzerk2k2 
Probably it is because the engine isn't suited well to render huge open areas, and more about corridors and rooms, and mappers create such huge maps only because of modern hardware computational power. 
Berzerk 
Sorry, unfortunately there's not much I can do without completely reworking the layout, or closing off whole segments of the map to the outside.
I optimized the stuff I could but since it was running ok (=almost never under 60)on my ~8 year old pc, I decided to stick to my initial layout. 

Someone tell that big open maps run better in vkQuake on Vulkan-compatible rigs.

About ad_akalakha: Most compare it to ad_sepulcher, but for me it resembles Shadow and Flame (xmasjam2018_ionous), remade with boggy assets instead of obsidian and lava. Not only because of spiral staircase structure, again these tight player pathways, traps in both brushwork and monster spawns, these ruthless secrets... Pulsar basically imitates Ionous' approach to level design(and that's not a poor imitation in any ways)! This is not a complaint, rather not exactly mine taste, and not what I am launching quake for. 
@So Rangers Name's Jim? 
Yes the framerate in vkQuake is better than in QSS (at least on my end) but unfortunately the current version 1.04.1 of vkQuake has some issues with AD 1.8.

For example when you die vkQuake will crash with a "Could not allocate memory for texture" error message.

The custom huds are also not working at the moment.

Maybe one day a new version will fix the problems or the AD team ads vkQuake to the list of officially supported source ports so the current version can run it without any issues but right now QSS seems to be the only stable way to play AD 1.8. 

Akalakha was originally an entry to Xmas Jam 2017. 

@Berzerk
Unfortunately, that's probably a problem with your machine. I've been using vkQuake exclusively for a long time, and have been playing AD 1.8 nonstop since release, and have experienced zero crashes.

Also, where does one report bugs where the team will see them? 
Huanlopan 
The vkquake crash is definitely reproducable with the latest release, but apparently it's fixed on the most recent codebase. Would be great if a new executable was put up for all of us scrubs that don't go around compiling stuff. :)

For bug reporting, you mean for AD? Here is fine, or you can contract Sock from his site, or me (my mail is in my profile). 
VKQuake 
I also have issues with vKQuake, namely that it crashes (or rather freezes) when trying to load a save within the game. Can load saves fine when restarting, but not while playing. Agree that it would be nice to have it work as it's faster.

Replaying ad_tears, it's not a pulsating sound in the final arena, but rather a humming one, same as in The Source. I have the same sound issues with that sound as with the pulsating one. 
What Happens With R_wateralpha 
it seems to be map dependent now and AD 1.8 engine ignores r_wateralpha config variables. How specifies my own value? 
Ad_tears 
Skill #0... Nice balanced map. Great enemies, gorgeous too. That Scrag Lord took some beating. 
R_wateralpha 
QuakeSpasm has allowed maps to override the r_wateralpha cvar via a worldspawn key pretty much forever; I think it's inherited from the original FitzQuake code. 
I'm So Glad When They Do Sunny Maps! 
Filled with light and not much shadows. I can look at this misty sunrise all day long. This is how you do heartwarming dimensions.
https://imgur.com/a/JvLjRlx 
VKQuake Crash 
increasing -heapsize resolves the problem with loading a save file. 
@Six-Shoota 
Thanks for the tip! -heapsize 256000 didn't help, though, but it is an issue with memory allocation as it says so. Perhaps I need to allocate even more, but that was the recommendation I found when googling. 
Ad_tears 
oh boy!
This map is really somthing in all catagroies.
Brushwork, gameplay, layout.
Finished with 764/766 kills, so I have to replay to find the last two enemies.
The end was epic.
I bow my head! 
Oh My Bad 
should be something. 8-) 
Borged Login 
I tried to login last week to start the AD 1.8 thread but my old login is broken (forgotten password). I did let metlslime know, but I imagine he is super busy at the moment. If anyone can update the top part of this thread, it would be awesome thanks.

1.8 Mod Image - http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/ad_v1_80_small.png

Since release there has been a patch 1 (the original build was completely broken) and the latest version is on my website.

Here is the 1.8 Patch 1 changelog for anyone who is curious to know what has been added/changed to the mod since 1.7.

Changelog - http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/ad_v1_80p1changelog.txt

The mod is now all in PAK files (its too messy to keep it loose with community content) and it makes it much easier to patch/update.

The mod now supports custom HUDs, a new gameplay mode called Chaos and a new skill level (4) called Evil! I highly recommend that everyone try the new QSS client (there is no new mac version) to get the latest visual effects and custom HUDs!

There are plans for another patch 2, but its going to be a long time coming because I don't want to keep rushing out patches. People don't tend to download patches very much for Quake! Please report bugs here or contact me or bal directly. :)

If anyone is curious for the latest news on AD, checkout bal on twitter who is posting cool gifs showing new features and myself for tweets about new AD info and screenshots. 
Sock: 
sorry about that, it looks like your email was in my junk mail folder.

Updated the top post with the new screenshot and download URLs you emailed me. 

Is ad_tears based on an old nehahra map? 
Yhe1 
Nope, it's a completely new one I started this year.

metl, thanks! 
@Bal 
Speaking of bugs, I've found a place where player gets stuck on plain surface, here's the screens. First one is made while being stuck whilst trying to forwards , and others are views at that point on the ground from distance. Also there's a typo, it's spelled "prize", not "priz"
https://imgur.com/a/aCK5Gi9 
Gl_texturemode GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR 

Tnx Bal 
Regarding my sound issues, turning down the sound quite a lot actually fixed it. I have to go under 50%, but then the clipping is gone and there seems to be no adverse issues with having it so low either. So thanks for the tip, @bal! 
So. 
Replayed Grendel to warm up for checking out some new stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5rLejyRbtM

Then jumped into XMASJAM1024_Sepulchre aka AD_AHKALAKAHAKA aka Pulsar's map/room which was pretty cool and packed a lot in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfRP3BXG4Cw

Both include a lot of derping, a fair amount of getting secrets, appreciation of the designs, and occasional "cuss words". 
Also. 
Nyarthingy's Castle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUhTpfbwEH4

In which Shambler mostly gives up the derping for now and occasionally offers a convincing pretence at competence. 

Bal, you have any plans to re purpose your old nehahra maps into AD maps? Would be ashamed to see the stuff go to waste. 
Yhe1 
No not really, Greenwood was kind enough to recycle one of them and release it, but I don't really have the courage to go back to them, rather work on new stuff. 
Bal's Color And Numbers Enigma 
What's that enigma in the super-secret room ? It says

"Could you be an slower? Here have an old pot as consolation priz",

with a few luminous numbers and color code.

What is this? After searching a lot all around the map, I didn't found a clue. 
#102 @Barnak 
See post #37 
Bal... 
Expect to hear that question in the future despite your answer, I already told him what you said like 3 times. 
Not Being Rude, Just Yelling It Like It Is 
Yhe1 seems to believe that other people are his own personal bitch to do what he wants them to do, and that if asks the same question over and over and over again he'll eventually grind you down into doing what he wants.

I've been on the receiving end of that too. 

Not a demand, just an suggestion 
#103 Thanks... 
But then, I think this panel is very cryptic and may be puzzling to most players. It really feels like some sort of enigma code to solve, a new mystery, almost like in the old Myst game (especially considering the easthetics of that large, island-like map). 

maybe it's part of an ARG 

I've noticed that this installation, in PAK's instead of folders runs better on my PC than old 1.7 version. Is it because of these packages, or because lack of tons of fan maps and props in the folder? Or there took place some optimisation in new version's code? 
Help 
I love the look of Bal's new map and what I've played so far has been great, but I'm getting a surprisingly poor framerate in the outdoor sareas. While on the starting pillar I'm getting around 180 fps but if I go to the outdoor area directly behind the start I only get about 40 fps. I'm using vkQuake (also happens with QSS) with an i7 6700HQ, a GTX1070 mobile, and 16GB of 2400KHz RAM. This just seems like extremely low frame rates compared to what I usually get in Quake maps, even the larger ones. Thanks for any help. 
You must be logged in to post in this thread.
Website copyright © 2002-2020 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.