If you listen carefully you can hear the BSP format sobbing gently in the corner.
Promising But Some Errors.. From 3dsmax
So I gave it a spin and it does some things right and others wrong with my current setup as far as I can tell.
Here is a screenshot showing my lovely test cylinder in 3dsmax and the resulting data inside TB2.
For starters when I load my wad file it applies all the textures correct. But for some reason in 3dsmax its taking the name of the texture from the material name? And not the actual texture loaded. Oh well I can make that work.
It does get the tiling amount correct for the top but the side faces are skewed. I do believe TB2 supports Valve220 though unless I missed something. I've also included the OBJ output from 3dsmax and the wad file I used.
I think you set everything up correctly, but when I convert your obj it looks fine.
Old build of TB2 by any chance? Double check in Jackhammer?
I got same results with cylinder as Skiffy...
Tested on Jackhammer 1.1.700
Log full of "Error computing texture vectors".
I just wonder if it's not another problem with dot and comma conversion. In some EU countries we use comma instead of dot, to point floating part. During computation Parse is doing wrong conversion or something like that and outputs rounded results or throw exception. That's why I added "Culture" thing to force dot... but I found maybe one place in the new code where you can add this, but it shouldn't matter tbh. Gonna check it in a moment.
EricW can you sens us MAP file with this cylinder?
Ah Thanks For The Hint
yep.. confirmed it is a comma floating point issue, will fix it
OK Should Be Fixed.
I updated the download in post #66
Still not working properly for me... I think I'll debug it step by step, after I finish other stuff. Can you upload cylinder MAP for me? I wanna see how far values are from proper map file.
What is a good simple (as in learning curve) modeller to use for this? I've tried TB, Quark, and JH / Hammer to make maps over the years. But have never tried using a modelling program (other that POVray with Moray).
Sooo Many Choices
Hmmm if you start from nothing? 3dsmax, Maya, Modo... Cinema4d.... Blender?
I guess Blender ... it's the only free modeling app, isn't it?
I use MODO for everything.
Blender, No Question
I just lost 8h of source debugging, line by line, with calculator and shit, to realize, it was all fault of "Axis Aligned?" checkbox... -_- fckin' checkbox...
Results are amazing man... <3
You deserve a medal and sixpack of a beer!
I think new era of Quake mapping just started :D
sorry you had to go through all that debugging, but awesome that you found the problem and it works! argh, I must have always been testing with "Axis aligned" unchecked..
I must be missing something in TB2 then? my models are still messed up :(
did you try the beta 2 version? I updated the download in post #66. that should fix the cylinder model if Windows is set to use comma for the decimal point when printing numbers.
You probably have set Method to Standard, it wont work with this unfortunately. You need to go with Extrusion or Spike.
I think it's not hard to turn off this Alignment in code for Standard too. Will take a look later.
I use standard because I construct proper BSP brushes for various things instead of relying on the extrude or or Spike method. So yes indeed I would prefer to have the standard one working too.
This is what we did on Gunman Chronicles back in 2000 :)
We used to have a tool similar to OBJ2MAP but it got lost in a HD crash source and all. But hey now we have this improved monster! :)
you worked on gunman TC? i remember being really impressed with the screenshots I saw of it at the time. (when it was a quake TC)
Especially the giant hand sculpture.
Gunman Chronicles was neat fun. You would think that sculpture would be among the top image results for the game but...oh well :^|
Yea Ages Ago.
Yea I was the main modeler / animator on the project back then. So all enemies and guns plus tons of props modeled / animated.
Street Cred, Yo!
Yeah Gunman Was Great Fun
and I remember some of the cool models, like the Star Wars like monster that comes out of the ground.
It Had A Lovely Name
Known as the Xenome Grande, very creative.
Large Alien in Spanish hehe. That sucker was sculpted in clay and then surfaced using a microscribe and Amapi the modeling software with good drivers for it back then. It was a pain in the butt to animate. I had no clue how to setup spline rigs back then. So FK tentacle animations all the way! woot!... :P
it was definitely a very interesting monster for a modded q2 engine!