I've not finished this, in fact I haven't even gotten close (got wiped on skill 2 twice), but I already have some Observations™:
- Absolutely amazing how this was done with just the id1 textures (and a skybox), and the extended map limits
- Great balance between tiny details (i.e. broken tiles, stony pathways) and the big picture (the everpresent, overwhelming trees, and the big curving posts straight from an old folklore tale
- (Could still have been improved by ditching the outer layer of black trees and painting them over the skybox instead)
- Loving the focus on exploration, did not expect this kind of map from the early screenshots
- I was expecting a moderate stroll through a medieval world but got the full Elder World treatment very early on!
Two mediocre demos... so far!