"I think some of you mapping folk should really know better by now" yeah even with some recent releases I find myself having to toggle gl_fullbrights off if I want it not to look like crap.
Thanks for the all-in-one package, super useful!
Thanks for doing this. I'm looking forward to playing through some classics without those ugly fullbright pixels spoiling the atmosphere. :)
Interesting to see this still showing up in recent releases... I assume it's mostly because of some texture wads from back in the day that are still being used?
Would be good to get an idea of what the offending wads are so that mappers can use fixed versions for future releases.
Most frequent/visible offender is probably daikatana. Some, like knave, only have a couple faulty textures, but are omnipresent. Ogro and stuff from alice sometimes crop up, but these are rarely used in large quantities.
But it's not a couple, it's most of them. Easier to list the non-offending ones probably.
Models of course usually come unmodified directly from drake/quoth/ad, some even carry bad fullbrights from rogue/hipnotic. Most baffling are the AD shell casings that even non-AD jams re-use.
Something like this was badly needed. Finally an easy way to get rid of all those ugly visual artifacts in old mods with modern ports! Thanks a lot for making this and arranging it in a way that's easy to understand for everyone.
Does This Work Out Of The Box On AD?
Some of the levels in AD really need this.
If you just need AD, you can download only the patch for AD: https://github.com/c-d-a/q1fbfix/raw/master/fb_patches/ad/pak0.pak
I don't remember any levels in AD being particularly bad though.
interesting, in that last screenshot on imgur, the chthon head seems like it was intended to have the fullbrights.
That's a Lost Soul from AD.
How Come I Don't See Any Of This Fullbright Acne??
as QMD calls them, "fullbright pickles"
are you seeing the animated images on imgur? maybe I overestimated apng support among web browsers. here are the same images as lossy gifs: https://imgur.com/a/vhijSsk
the one with checkered eyes, patchy glow, glowing casings and stray pixels on deathguards and skull's teeth - is a screenshot of the original
indeed, the fullbrights seem intentional, so I fixed them to the best of my ability
yes, i see the animations ... i had assumed that the version with fewer fullbrights was the 'fixed' version, but glad to hear that actually, you added fullbrights to that one to make it look better.
#10 Same For Me...
...anyone care to explain the issue in detail?
1 - what are exactly "fullbrights"?
2 - are they features or glitches?
3 - how come me and Shambler don't see them?
4 - are they meant to be turned on in game?
5 - if they are pixels in textures, wouldn't it be enough to modify the textures once and for all instead of issuing patches?
6 - how would they fit in penis themed maps?
I see them in some textures. There's a hazard stripe I've used and a doom wad rock texture that I had to edit out the fullbrights from. But I haven't found many recent maps that have them??
1) "Fullbrights" are pixels unaffected by lighting (can glow in the dark or be relatively dark under a light). In Quake these are the last 32 out of 256 colors in the palette.
2) Depends on whether they are used intentionally or not. A common cause for unintentional use is carelessly converting from some other format to Quake palette.
3) You might have it disabled (gl_fullbrights), or you might be using a sourceport without fullbright support. Or maybe they are less obvious with linear filtering.
4) Fullbrights themselves are on by default in engines that support them. The patches don't have to be turned on, just placed in appropriate folders.
5) Textures are stored inside .bsp map files. It is possible to replace them, but would require distributing whole maps again. The maps could of course be fixed before releasing them, then there would be no need for a patch.
6) rpgsp1 and shamsp3 are unaffected.
Thanks A Lot, Chedap.
Much better now.
Glad rgpsp1 and shamsp3 are safe to play.