News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Register | Log in
Retro Jam 5 Is Out Like The Wind!
A brand new, Wind Tunnels themed, retro jam map pack release! But what even is a retro jam?

(...) the original Quake maps still look great in 2016, and the vague idea behind retro jams is to recreate their simplistic beauty.

Featuring maps by Breezeep, Bloughsburgh, ItEndsWithTens, NewHouse, QMaster, Shamblernaut, and someone else OTP won't name with a full wind tunnels map under the name "shambler".

Screenshot gallery
Download (5.96 MB)

Had to see who the guest star was.

demo

Touchpadding it. Nice map! Very monster jumpy, scraggy map. 

Damn! I just got off the computer! Bah, I'll download it tomorrow... Curious to see who the guest star is.

Noticed a typo at imgur: it says retro jam 3 instead of 5. 
Damn 
some good shit here.
thanks for organizing this, OTP - you non contributing fuck. 
A Finished Map By Onetruepimple?? 
Can't be: it doesn't have penis textures. 
Wind Tunnels Are Big Long Tubes Too... 

Thanks to this jam.. I finally find some use for these trigger_pushes. Unfortunately I didn't have time or interest to create anything longer. And it is not even very hard.. not even in nightmare mode.

Played through some of the maps already, will finish them all later today hopefully. 
Looking Forward 
Excited to play these tonight, I already took a peep at the guest star and very curious as to what I am going to be experiencing!

Congrats to all of the participants. 
Looks Like One Of My Fans Disappeared In The Final Build 
... but only in QS... weird. 

Screenshot. By the way, this map seems to have been lit with an older version of EricW's TyrUtils, because if you make the water invisible (r_wateralpha 0), the lighting on the floor of the shoreline indicates that the water casted dirtmaps on it.

And a couple more screenshots. This jam was really good. 
My map was lit with version 0.15.8, which was the latest at the time of the jam. 0.15.9 came out after I sent the submission, and apparently fixed a bug with lighting on bmodels, like the func_detail slop pile you see in your screenshot. Something about black fringes, which I take it is happening here; I didn't have dirtmapping enabled. I could have recompiled quickly and sent otp an updated version, but I'd done all my testing with the .bsp you're playing now, didn't notice any problems (I tested with both opaque and translucent water, but nothing stood out as an issue), and was exhausted, so I figured it was best to just let sleeping dogs lie. 
Updated Light Tools 
I used 0.15.8 also, didn't notice there was a new version already. Is that problem or something? 
Newhouse 
EricW explains the issue in this post in his tools' thread. If you didn't notice any big problems with the lighting in your map when checking your final compile, I wouldn't worry about it. 
ItEndsWithTens 
Just compiled again, and didn't see any differences. But there might have been some issues with my noir jam map back then. 
Hey 
this was a nice pack. Enjoyed these maps a lot. Tho I've played them on skill 2, but should have played on skill 1 first. Here are demos (somehow managed to overwrite the second demo in breezep's map, sorry).
Spoiler: It's the derpiest derp you've ever seen. 
If My Map Didn't Have Enough Challenge. 
here is a bit harder version, not much but little:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwxYkKdSD855S1lGQ05JeU9ZMW8/view?usp=sharing

Also don't know where these mysterious 4 kills are* I haven't found them yet in editor. 
Retro Jam 5 Is At QuakeOne 
http://quakeone.com/news/site-news/12508-retro-jam-5-wind-tunnels-released.html

@NewHouse Do you have fish in your map? This may be it. 
Nice Maps Guys 
I have played most of the maps (5/7). Nice pack. Will post demos and commentary when I'm finished with all maps (sometime tomorrow).

ps.
Bloughsburgh, damn you and your spawns! 
@Mugwump 
yes, I do have 4 fish.. really, is that bug? 

Each fish counts twice, but still gives you one kill when you kill it. It's a bug in vanilla progs.dat. 
Demos 
Skill 2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/84ulu2p0h7dhafy/mjb_retro5jam.zip?dl=0

That was a fun ride, so many creative maps it was an absolute blast to play!

Breezeep:

I love the warm lighting here and the multiple layers, but the immense amount of in-your-face monster spawning got to be overwhelming. I liked the infighting that could happen on the top level though! Nice chunky brushwork as well.

NewHouse:

This one steered away from the dank windy sewers to another realm. I liked the subtle green lighting you put on display here. I also like that you did something different with the trigger_push...making it almost like a vessel to create several small arenas. If I can throw a critisim it would be I would never say: "This is like E3M5!"

Qmaster:

The name definitely suits the level layout! Very confusing use of trigger_push I almost felt like I was being watched by someone above the whole time. Different than the rest and I enjoy that fact. Again, I did not get an E3M5 vibe from this one.

"Shambler"

The soft lights absolute drench in atmosphere and I certainly got the dark sewer vibe from this one. Menacing monster fights with the last one being an adrenaline rush! I liked the secrets. I think some of the sequences were a bit hardcore...perhaps too much so!

Shamblernaut:

Award for the most unique map I would say. Really different...felt like some madman's medieval playhouse. No wind tunnel vibe here even though there are wind tunnels. The fans were a nice touch and not used to convey air pushing on any other map in the jam. Lighting was very flat.

ItEndsWithTens:

Another very different take on wind tunnels. I liked the entirely different texture set used and the fact that the wind tunnel is used for a final send-off. I can't get a total sewer vibe but it's there!

Summary:

Really awesome jam, it was a blast to make my map and I hope others had fun as well. I love seeing what people come up with when presented with the same theme. 
Here is the problem. The lighting is darker near the shoreline.

This may go unnoticed in most engines, but it becomes noticeable when using smooth shorelines (which some engines also supports through shaders). 
@Bloughsburgh 
Thank you* I personally like more Episode 4. And I included a bit of episode 3 feel too, obelisk tower should feel a bit like episode 3. 

I think it is good that there weren't copies of E3M5. And don't know why it has to feel exactly like that map. I personally enjoyed these much more. 

It doesn't have to. I think Bloughsburgh might have been misled by the explicit mention of E3M5 in the old thread title, but if you actually read OTP's original post at http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61374, it's pretty clear this jam wasn't restricted to E3M5-style. 
Bloughsburgh 
I'm stuck at the "your fate is sealed" room. I can't find any button to press or shoot and the side tunnels are too high to grenade-jump to. Am I supposed to quad-grenade-jump into one of the tunnels? I tried that a few times with the very much expected result of insta-gib... 
A Dark Place 
I assume you are running DP?

What didn't happen should be the first question:

No rune to pickup? What monster waves spawned? (Ogre/Fiend, Scrag/DK, Spawns?)

Although not explicitly stated, I did run through each skill on whatever the most recent DP download is on LordHavoc's site and had no issue...

Another thing to try is check the corners of the large hollow pipes to see if a monster is caught in a coner and not jumping down.

I will try to help when you have more info! 
@Bloughsburgh 
This experience based on my testing.. but for some reasons if you run my map for example in darkplaces-sdl.exe it doesn't teleport enemies, but if you use just the darkplaces.exe then it should work?

Or are we talking about something else then? 

Then again, I don't know do I even have up to date versions of those two.. 
NewHouse 
Are you saying you are also having issue with finishing my map or are you generally commenting about DarkPlaces oddities as well?

In any case, I really have no idea...it is just a string of trigger_counters and relays. 
Bloughsburgh 
Yes, I used trigger_relays and trigger_counters inside the obelisk and those didn't worked on Darkplaces-sdl build for me at least. 
Bloughsburgh* 
I will try and test if your map is having same issues. 

I got the rune but only fought a couple ogres, one of which never jumped down. But yeah, I played it in my primary DP install, which happens to still run the 20140430 build - forgot to update it. *facepalm* Thanks. I'm loving what I've played so far, BTW. Will try again in my up-to-date secondary install. 

It seems to be working. Mugwump after picking up that rune and killing all the monsters (spawns last). Platform rises from that spot where rune was, and use that to jump to that nearest yet lowest pipe? 
NewHouse 
The date of your DP build should be displayed at the bottom of the console. 

Okay, it wasn't just up to date, as expected* 
Not So Dark Place 
Cool, glad to hear that it might have been because of an old version. I do know that sometimes the monsters do not jump down right away but if they are angry (And they are set to be that way) they should eventually.

Thanks guys. 
In Order. 
Breezeep: Beautiful construction for a jam map, obviously style is spot on but so is build quality and lighting - rather like Q2 sewers which is neat. Very tough gameplay but unbalanced as it's a lot easier at the end.

MJB: Again very cool for a jam map, not quite a refined as above but a good style with lots of nice touches - little light pipes are cool, lots of nooks and crannies and secrets, and I like that the wind tunnels sections are chaotically confusing. The combat was good and well balanced, quite cruel at the very end.

Newhouse: Some neat designs and styles in this, nice details and lighting in the first area. Having your own style of actual wind tunnel was cool. The last one gave some interesting gameplay mostly focused around having a vast cloud of my own grenades floating right next to me. It was a bit easy otherwise but fun. The overall theme was a bit too mixed and needed more consistency (a clear feature of wind tunnels, and your tunnels had potential to carry that through).

Qmaster - interesting wee map! Very good use out of one divided room. I actually like the layout and how exploratory it feels despite it's size, plus the way it changes around. Combat was interesting too. The main issue is the texturing is dull, and the designs don't quite harmonise - if those were fixed it would have been a favourite. Oh and the wind tunnels were borky.

Onetruepurple - clearly a full map with this jam as an excuse to release it, will play it seperately.

Shamblernaut - okay for jam map but a bit big and bland. The fans were a good touch though. Rein in the size and focus more on layout and details.

Tens - great layout and connectivity, good design, nice blend of inside and outside, and decent gameplay, but SWEET MOTHER OF CHRIST'S SWEATY ARSE CRACK THE TEXTURES. It's like Madfox took an extra special weekend hit on the crackpipe. Almost unplayabley ugly but if it had been retextured it would have been another favourite of the pack. I didn't mind that the wind tunnel was fairly tangential gameplay-wise.

Great pack overall. 
Oh Yeah... 
...have to DL and play this if only for Smabler's "Tens" review. 
Wait... "Shambler" Is Actually OTP? 

Wait 
OTP impersonated Shambler? 
Notes 
Pulsar:

Thanks for playing, was fun to watch the demo and I was pleased that you discovered a good many secrets and almost found the super secret! I liked that you actually turned around and explored when prompted with the "Are you sure?" message. I also laughed at the Ranger's final watery fate!

Kreathor:

Haha, it did say your fate was sealed!

Shamblernaut: I do recommend watching my demo of your map just for the end haha.

NewHouse:

I don't know why I worded it that way but when I said not E3M5 I more so meant lacking of dark sewer tunnels and such...nothing wrong with it I just tried to find a criticism for each map in the name of balance.

Shambler:

Glad you enjoyed the map, are there demos to be watched? :O 
@Bloughsburgh 
No worries, even though I'm those kind of persons who will get triggered quite easily. Right after finishing this quickie map.. I kind of started working on something more consistent, some kind of graveyard wind castle whatever, with these magic wind elevators kind of.

I should have spend more time on this map, interesting that nobody pointed out that it is very sort, and must be the one of the reasons why there wasn't that much challenge. Kind of wanted to increase difficulty slowly while kind of introducing these new elements. 

...pointed out that it is very "short"... 
Demos + Few Words 
Demos (skill 2) for:
Breezeep
Bloughsburgh
NewHouse
Qmaster
OTP aka Shambler (or whoever did this map)
Shamblernaut
ItEndsWithTens

Breezeep:
This map is quite hard. Enemies compressed in small rooms. Challenging but fun. Infighting helps a lot.

Bloughsburgh:
Map is nice, but last fight sucks and you know why! Nicely balanced secrets though. While recording this demo, I already knew about few of them (secrets), so sorry about that. On my last playthrough, I had this "A-ha!" moment with "blinking lights" secret - I found what has been opened.

NewHouse:
Nice small map. I got a feeling you take mapping too seriously. You should try make more freestyle maps like this to chillout a little. Maybe under some pseudonym, if you are too shy - like OTP does ;D

Qmaster:
Interesting map. I like this weird structures. It would look cool with concrete and metal textures. Push entities were not so great, need some polishing.

OTP aka Shambler (or whoever did this map):
It was ok. Many troll moves here and there.

Shamblernaut:
Simple concept. You can easily get ground by fans (and I'm not talking about people who like your maps). Even if this should be retro, I would love to see more detail in this map, instead of big empty rooms. It was fun anyway.

ItEndsWithTens:
It gives this 90s level design vibes, in both topology and texture work. Which of course is not bad. 
If My Maps Were As Good As The Secret One I Wouldn't Use A Pseudonym 

@khreathor 
Thank you~ My way to chill-out is to try out interesting battles and learning more about scripting while making maps, also prototyping interesting themes is very fun. It was interesting to try out those physics, floating grenades etc. But I have had fun with all these previous ones as well. 

Great jam overall, with only good to great maps, not even a "meh" one. Thanks to OTP for organizing it. Played on skill 2 in Darkplaces. No demos, sorry... In playing order:

Breezeep: Very good but very tough map, with one particularly vicious arena fight. A bit stingy on ammo and armor. I wish there was at least one secret. I couldn't figure out what triggered the spawning fiends at the beginning, it seemed somewhat randomized. Issues: 1) I got stuck once on the inner side of the second turn in the first wind tunnel, but it didn't happen again upon reload. 2) I had one missing frag but couldn't find the last monster even after thoroughly re-exploring the map several times. I suspect it somehow fell out of the map.

Qmaster: A very intricate layout with nice verticality but monotonous texturing - then again, one can do so much in a week's time, so I don't hold it against you. The theme was wind tunnels and IMHO the bill is only half-fitted: there's wind "pads" but where are the tunnels? Contrary to Bloughsburgh, these wind pads didn't confuse me at all. Issues: 1) the first wind pad on the second floor seems to activate on its own when the player simply walks over it, thus greatly impairing walking speed - this can be a problem when you have a vore shooting her balls at you from the other side of the central pit! 2) the exit teleporter points to a non-existing retrojam5_start.bsp while OTP explicitly stated that he wouldn't provide a start map.

Shambler (or OTP, according to Shambler): Wow! Incredible on all accounts! You won't have me believe you made such a large, detailed and visually stunning map in just one week, even if you'd worked on it 24/7. You even took the time to add a couple funny centerprints. The carefully crafted lighting gives it a great atmosphere, even better with an extra .lit file. The action is very tough and frantic, especially that final horde fight in a much too small arena, which was a bit unfair. This one took me "a few" tries but I eventually managed to survive it. As Bloughsie said, secrets are nice. Issues: 1) I had to turn RTworld off, otherwise the map would be drenched in overbrights. 2) I got stuck on the remnants of bars at the end of the second wind tunnel. The trigger_push prevented me from moving and I had to noclip out of there. The issue did repeat upon retries.

Shamblernaut: A fun smallish map with some boxy rooms. I liked the large scale of the main rooms and the gameplay mechanic in the second room that allowed to dispose of the monsters without even shooting once. The very wide tunnels were a nice variation on the usual wind tunnel design, with these large fans that would fit in industrial complexes. As others have pointed out, the lighting is very flat. Issue: like with Shambler/OTP's map, RTworld has to be turned off.

ItEndsWithTens: What does the title mean? This one takes the concept of "retro" even further: it's as fugly as a 96/97 custom map! If this was the intent, it's awesome. Gameplay-wise, it's good but I wish the wind tunnel served as more than an excuse to delay the ending for a few seconds.

MJB: Loved it! Even when you do something "retro", you manage to bring in fresh ideas. These upside down torches were neat and looked much better than expected with Seven's particle flame, as if fire was sprayed downwards and then went back up. Missed secret #5 but I tend to disregard flickering lights (because they're also used as simple decoration), especially when there are so many around! A shootable button might have been better. The inclusion of a skill selection area was a nice touch, given the absence of a start map.

NewHouse: I first played the original version but found it way too easy, so I tried the updated one and it was much better. A fun and rather short map with, as usual, nice atmosphere and attention to detail (the open lid of the well at the start). I would emit the same criticism as for Qmaster's map regarding the absence of actual wind tunnels. BTW, is it normal that the last wind column leading inside the obelisk is so slow? Issue: same as Shambler & Shamblernaut. 
@Mugwump 
"is it normal that the last wind column leading inside the obelisk is so slow?"

Yes, I made it slow. It builds up desperate feeling + makes sure that player will notice that grenades also can be shoot those slow moving trigger_pushes. 
Thanks For The Kind Words, Everyone. 
To be fair, I made the map on the last day of submission, so I wasn't expecting the map to be entirely polished. I get that the gameplay is unbalanced in some areas, but I don't get why some items would fall out of the map. Otherwise, I'm feeling glad I participated in this jam. Having a deadline really helps me keep the motivation to finish a map. 
@Breezeep_ 
To be honest, when I played your map I got this feeling "I have to survive somehow in front of massive army I can't beat". Don't know is it bad that you can't kill all the monster, but it surely creates that desperate feeling which I like a lot. Makes me remember some of the Myth : The Fallen Lord maps where you can't beat enemies, you just have to slow them down and reach the exit. I would like to try out something like this in the future as well, but don't know how people would react to that.

This will not work for all the players, but I surely enjoyed a lot. 
PS 
My demos were recorded in Quakespasm - protocol 666 afaik. 

Notes 
Khreathor:

Thanks for playing and recording a demo, was fun to see someone get what I call the super secret! I never really got to play with spawns and it looks like 4 randomly dropping in a smallish room is pretty nasty. >:)

Mug:

Glad you enjoyed it man, thanks for the words! The flames were a very last addition to the map...something was just missing I guess! 

Is this going to uploaded to Quaddicted at some point? 

If OTP sends the zip to Spirit, it will eventually. 
I'm Being Slow Guys 
demos and feedback coming soon

Thanks for all your comments. My map is pretty plain, I know. I'll release a better version of the map eventually. The things I want to fix are:

- adding more detail to rooms, I struggled with the idea of a giant "wind tunnel" being blocked with geometry ruining the "flow" of the air.

- adding more verticality within individual rooms. There is enough in the main arena / hall, but individual rooms are pretty much just boxes.

-modifying geometry so mobs will follow you OR changing them to shooting enemies.

- modifying triggering so that mobs will teleport in, rather than waiting to be sniped at a distance.

- disincentivising players from cheesing the "maze" section.

-fixing lighting leaks, adding contrast and adding adding decorative lighting fixtures (sconces etc) 

While you're at it, I've noticed a misaligned floor texture: the pavement just in front of the exit's bone mound is oblique rather than aligned with the rest of the pavement. 
@Bloughsburgh 
How did you do that, these upside down flames? I haven't been recording ever before, but I can try to do that if you want to see my super gameplay skills or something. 
@Shamblernaut 
How did you make the rotating brushes? (I couldn't check, the map doesn't open in Trenchbroom)

Sorry for cheesing, it was fon to due ;[ 

here: http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=37116&start=330

is the thread that explains the hack.

The cheesing is fine, I'm just going to make it a touch harder to do, that's all. 
Make It On A Lava! 

@Shamblernaut 
Thanks, I look forward to it.

Maybe a stupid idea but if you're concerned about geometry getting in the way of the tunnels, perhaps 45 degree brushes could act as ramps that influence movement.

With the maze, It's a too easy to cheese as you say with the gap around the edge and banking. Maybe the outer pillars could be part of the wall however it might be tricky to balance then.. less spikes and a few more enemies/health idk. 

Great jam my dudes. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Breezeep - Very cool, fits the e3m5/metal theme perfectly. Very impressive construction given the very short amount of time needed for making the map. Monster balance is bonkers but it's pretty fun.

Bloughsburgh - My favorite of the pack. Like Breezeep's this fits the theme to a T and the wind tunnels are completely insane in that one. This is a very hard map on skill 3 given how cramped it is and how relentless the monster positioning is.

NewHouse - Very interesting, feels like a mash-up of E4 (especially the cemetery) and E3 structures. Interesting use of the trigger_push inside the obelisk itself!

QMaster - Very cool, though the texturing can get a bit repetitive. Interesting progression and cool secrets. The lack of sounds and music was a bit distracting though.

Shambler - I'd wager this was made by CZG since there is a goatse in it... Very polished and cool to play, though a few trigger_push don't behave too well and a few encounters are a bit too difficult (the two fiends inside the tunnel or the GL gotcha after the silver key wind tunnel). Like Breezeep's and Bloughsburgh's, this fits the theme perfectly, and it reminded me of Antediluvian quite a lot.

Shamblernaut - Pretty nice overall. Cool black magic with the rotating fans! The map itself was alright. Nail trap haters will love this.

Tens - Another interesting interpretation. Textures are quite awful but the map itself is pretty nice with a cool open layout. It's a shame the wind tunnels are only used at the very end but the ride is very well made.

Skill 3 demos: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5mowmoeweygb8zo/rj5_demos.zip?dl=0 
Map Reviews :) 
The demos (all my second play throughs), 10 meg zip file:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108695968/retrojam5_demos_shamblernaut.zip

Breezeep:

Great geometry, excellent use of a few textures. Good polished map, I felt it could use a little more gameplay testing. I found it really really difficult. I'm pretty sure it would take me about a hundred attempts to finish it without saves. Although that may say more about my skill than your level. I really liked the feel of the map, nice and claustrophobic and "mechanical". Great job, maybe not the best map of the jam, but certainly the most memorable.

Bloughsburgh:

First of all, best map name. Shit-posting in map titles, I like it. For what feels like a small map, there is a lot going on in this map.

To me this map felt a lot like the mission packs, quakey, but different. Like Breezeep, excellent use of limited textures. I liked the encounters, secrets were well placed (found some after my demo) and I really like the in-level difficulty selector, I didn't know that was possible. I liked the upside down flames, adds a nice touch. Awesomely done.

Newhouse:

Your style is really distinctive and interesting style. I really like your ideas, but sometimes your execution of the ideas falls a little short. I feel you're somewhat like me in that regard. In this case however, I think it is an exception.

You're really good at setting an environment that I want to know more about. I feel like it is a shame that I couldn't explore the obelisk further. Excellent use of push mechanic, floating grenades! My only criticism with this map is that it is too short and maybe the encounters are a bit "vanilla". Otherwise, excellent map.

Qmaster:

This was my favourite of the bunch. It is especially amazing considering it is pretty much just one giant box room. I really liked the need to jump over the gap and being "sniped" by the vore. The difficulty was spot on.

I felt like the fake wind / jump pads into spikes were either a) not punishing enough or b) to obvious they were a trap. On my first play through (not recorded) I embarassingly too waay to long to figure out where to jump on the jump pads. Did you try having them at ground level so walking into them would raise you?

The arrow pointing you to jump down to get the blue key I felt needed to be better illuminated. Finally I felt like the walls could have been textured with a little more detail. But that is just a personal taste thing. Amazing job, well done.

Mystery Mapper:

Excellent map, really really solid, good gameplay, well balanced. Quite a large map considering the time constraints. This map probably feels the most like "the wind tunnels" to me. I don't know what else to say, it is just really well done.

Tens:

Lets start with the title, what does it mean? I searched google, nothing. Is there a reference to something that I'm missing?

I can see why some of the other guys mentioned the texturing. It has some pretty wild colours going on, it feels kind of "doomy" in that regard. I think this is a shame, because it is a very well constructed level.

I want to say that I disliked the explicit lack of direction in the level, but maybe that isn't entirely correct. I feel that maybe some mapping language needs to be included to convey better where the player needs to go. There were a few times I walked into an area and thought, wait, have I been here. Now it wasn't awful because it is quite a small level, but if the level was bigger I think this would have been an issue.

Of all the maps, yours had "technically" the best wind tunnels, not in their use of gameplay, but certainly in their ability to not disorient the player. Here your use of textures was excellent. Texturing so that the player can easily follow where the pipes are leading him.

It was a brave move making an outdoor area during a 5 day jam, it is really hard to make rock/cliff faces look good in quake to begin, let alone with the time constraints. I feel like this hurts your map a little, especially because you see it so early on after being hit with those intense textures. I think more time would have helped you a lot with this map.

One thing that impressed with this map was the encounters and the mob placement. It was a solid map, I just wish it had a few aesthetic changes. Congrats :) 
Going To Play Through This In About Ten Hours 

ionous, can you making stream or uploding video on youtube? 
Notes 
NewHouse:

angles key (Notice that extra s!)

value: -180 0 (I think 180 works, but TB2 changes it to -180 after clicking away)

Skacky:

I love that you talk to the viewer in your demo...gives a nice sense of your thoughts as going through. Glad you enjoyed the map and I really enjoyed seeing you turn back around and hunt for secrets.

Shamblernaut:

Thanks for recording a demo, again I like how people stop and check around the blinking hallway due to prior knowledge. I also find that 4 spawns in a tight area is a bit unfair hah.

Cheers guys. 
DLC Coming Soon (personal Deadline 4th December) 
Thanks for your comments guys, I started improving the encounters and introduction to new mechanics. Since shamblernaut wanted to explore more obelisk (and for skacky it ended too soon and many other people giving a lot of good points), I want to extend it more.

My original vision was to create that tower much larger anyway. After playing other's map, it felt like did I even tried this time. So I am sorry if I didn't share enough experience.

One question: is Spawn much worse than shambler? I will put one spawn to this map. 

Shamblers are the toughest monsters in Quake in terms of health points. Spawns are very weak in comparison, but the thing with them is their unpredictable movement behavior that makes them very dangerous. Some people like fighting them, some don't. 

They explode in your face, that's the main problem. If you get stuck with 4-5 of them in a small room, you are fucked... 
Who In The World 
Would make a player get stuck with 4 spawns in a small room...sheesh.

Anyway, in terms of a one on one fight the Shambler would always be the more dangerous foe.

Spawns are dangerous because you are forced to time your attacks so the explosion doesn't affect you. The problem is that waiting for the right time usually means getting bopped by the sporadic jumping patterns. Arcane Dimensions has a spawn flag to make spawns less jumpy which then makes them a valid shallow water lurking enemy! 

The shambler dance is pretty easy once you learn it. The harder thing is when there are other enemies with the shambler at the same time. OR if there is no cover and you need to fight said shambler beyond melee range. 
I Just Have An Evil Idea... 
... Spawn Shambler aka exploding Shambler. You can't dance with him and he jumps all over the place. 

What about bouncing shambler between two wind pipes* 

But he must be purple! 

Actually not bad idea* more like lava golem shambler or something like that. But I guess in this topic we should discuss how to use push_trigger and trigger_monsterjump in order to create jumping shambler. I also tested placing spawn monster inside weak push_trigger and it get stuck.. actually really satisfying when it can't move. New puzzle elements try to make spawns jump to wind tunnels. 
UHUH// 
Who In The World ...Would make a player get stuck with 4 spawns in a small room...sheesh.

LOL ;).

Also worth noting that according to Kinn, Spawn are NOT unpredictable and actually easily controllable and fightable even with the lowest weapons.

LOL ;)

TBH they are pretty damn cool monsters, just gotta be used carefully. 

If there is some way to predict those buggers' jumps, I'd very much like to know. 

Just analyze this, add some math calculations in your brain during the fight and you are immune to spawns.

Easy! 

Yeah, thanks but I don't speak QC. Got the same in english? 

Quickly looking it seems to be randomized, so in theory you can't predict.. but when spawn is on air.. you can shoot it.. but when it lands, te next direction it jumps is random which you can't predict.. am I right or not? 

Z velocity seems to be randomized. Other than that it probably just steers towards the target like any other monster would.

And ricochets off walls. 

Is z axel in this case "up" velocity? 
Breezy 
First run demos of each map, hard skill.

http://qrf.servequake.com/~orl/misc/orl_retrojam5_demos.rar

Will write descriptions for each map later. But to sum it up shortly, great work everyone! 
Orl 
I think you're the only person so far who has triggered the shambler in my nail room. 
No Kidding? 
I guess most people play it safe when confronted by dozens of spikeshooters in one room. Whereas I'm foolish and will jump right in the middle of it.

And the way you said it, I just can't help but think that I "triggered" the shambler by assuming his gender was male, whereas in actually was a bipolar junction transistor Australian demigirl, and teleported to destroy me and my nailgun privilege. 

Thank you all for demos, people seems to be really into these retro jams! Btw, why my intermission camera sucks on these demos, but works just fine for example in that ionous stream? 

Intermissions don't work properly on demo playback. 

Is z axel in this case "up" velocity?

Most likely. Seems logical. But I don't know QC very well. 
Retro Jam 5 Is On Quaddicted! 
Looks like Spirit is back in business...

Question: does the Quaddicted version include NewHouse's update or only the first version of his map? 
@86 
I officially love Orl <3 
Better Late Than Never 
Found a moment to sit down the other day and play this pack! No demos, unfortunately, since I usually die and reload quicksaves too often to keep restarting. I'm terrible. I did record videos with commentary, though, and I'm uploading them to Youtube to be available over the course of this week. Watch the playlist for updates: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoGPuWBXfT0fTgZmrgp6hXk4UFoWNQo_X

An apology up front to Breezeep, Bloughsburgh and NewHouse, whose maps' visuals were slightly glitched thanks to new Nvidia drivers (375.95) that apparently don't like me Alt+Tabbing in and out of fullscreen Quakespasm. I did briefly revisit all three maps at the start of Qmaster's video, just to make sure I knew what they were supposed to look like.

Breezeep:

The aforementioned glitch meant I couldn't see your flames, but I still had a ton of fun dealing with your monsters. This map was tough; I'm not sure if that's rusty skills on my part, or the seemingly high density of in your face close combat. The difficulty made it satisfying to fight through, ultimately, so no points off in my book.

Bloughsburgh:

Again I missed out on the flames, and this time upside-down! I feel so embarrassed, my apologies again for not noticing my graphics issues until after the fact. Like Breezeep's entry, though, none of it detracted from the playability of the map.

What I loved most about this was the constant feeling of being watched, the "fishbowl" approach so to speak. Always being on edge and looking over my shoulder is the best way to play Quake.

I think maybe the flashing lights were a little hard on the eyes, but then again so was E3M5, and you even included the classic secret from that same hallway, so hats off to you! Is that secret a reference to something I'm missing out on? I'm not up on the latest dank memes and such.

NewHouse:

Swimming up out of what I've decided to call a toilet is never a bad thing! Better out than in, after all. Loved your floating obelisk, and the slow wind lift is even better. I do have to say I was surprised to find grenades are also affected, and I almost blew myself up trying to kill that zombie. If there were a way to introduce that mechanic earlier I think it might be less "oh my god what have I done", but maybe that was on purpose? I certainly understand the joy of messing with players.

A curious thing, my graphics problem led to really funky looking blue flames here, which I thought fit the map pretty well. I even stumbled over some invisible enforcers, too, but there were only a handful, and they made for an unexpected challenge. Sorry for screwing up your map's presentation, but as with the previous two I don't believe I sacrificed any fun.

Qmaster:

If I'm not mistaken you said you'd made this fit in some sort of size restriction? It worked out beautifully! Tight confines, with tall, narrow walls and windows makes for a standout look that's a change of pace from the other entries.

The map is a warren of enemy nests, folded back and forth on each other, it's cozy as all hell. Having the wind pads changing their destinations based on progression through the map is even better: just disorienting enough to shake me up, but not so much as to leave me totally lost. Makes it feel like there are hidden nooks and crannies I'm walking right past but managing to miss every time.

You could use more health and ammo, maybe? I might just be a terrible Quake player, but at least the final fight with the Shambler/zombie combo was a bit touchy for me. I think I lost most of my health to Skrags, of all things, so again, I might just be out of practice.

"Shambler":

Sucking up to the Jam organizer, I know, but this was a fantastic map! Spaces just tight enough, and hordes just big enough, to make for tremendously gratifying quad-powered gibfests. And the infighting; they were tearing at each other like nobody's business, this is a perfect example of how fun it can be when a map gets chaotic. I wanted to offer more chances for gibs in my own map, but ended up going so retro as to worry about packet overflows in WinQuake, so I dropped most of that. Glad to see someone went for it.

All in all a great map, thanks for giving it to us! I was more than happy to receive.

Shamblernaut:

Oh, sure, everybody's got something to say about my textures but not a peep about BLINK BLINK BLINK BLINK with the lights. :P

This one's chambers were a bit oversized, yes, but I must admit part of my nostalgia for 90s shooters includes giant empty spaces made from simple geometry; Turok, for example. Something about huge flat walls, big rooms with few enemies, it speaks to me. Like arcane, eldritch things are secreted away behind those walls, or that the map is anticipating a need for such volumes of space, but we never get to find out why.

That rotating brush hack is incredible, I'll be looking for places to use that every chance I get. 

Tens:

As far as my own map: yes it was on purpose, but man does it suck to learn that I achieved what I set out to. It's crazy the kind of tunnel vision one can develop during a project like this, because it was still a bit of a shock to hear reactions as negative as they were, despite having initially made my texture choices based on "wow, that looks like a late 90s custom Quake level!" The whole point was to go for something identifiably tacky, but I somehow lost sight of that. I already take tons of excessively detailed notes as I design my maps, but I still need to more carefully document my design motivations going forward so I don't start feeling too good about myself before the inevitable reality check.

I go into much more detail in my own post-mortem video, so to avoid letting this post drag on as long as that does, the only other thing I'll comment on here is the name of the map. In designing this thing I thought about halfway through that it'd be helpful to define what it was. I know part of what makes Quake maps feel genuinely alien, and like you're exploring another dimension, is not being able to clearly identify the purpose of the place (familiarity feels safe, and all), but I was struggling to design a layout and needed what help I could get.

I figured some generic place of worship would be alright, not requiring any particular collection or arrangement of rooms, and therefore be easiest to build. The goal then was a non-denominational name for that, and while "temple" and "shrine" are nice, they're too common in Quake map titles. "Monastery" is too long and too many syllables. "Bethel", on the other hand, is a word I'd never heard before (thanks thesaurus.com!) but that fits the bill, so that was that.

For the second part I just wanted something that sounded like a nondescript alien deity or historical figure. Thinking back to the original Unreal, there's a level "The Temple of Vandora". My map's not based on it, and I haven't played that game or level in years, but I liked the name. In a strange bit of free association, I know the American car company GMC had a line of full sized vans in the 80s/90s branded "Vandura", so I made a lateral move to Ford, with its "Econoline" series, and reversed the process to get a name that sounded weird and vaguely mysterious.

Yes, I know I'm the only one who finds that the slightest bit interesting or fun.

Thanks again for running this event, otp, I had a lot of fun! My textures are awful but I'm rather proud of the layout and progression of the level, if I may say so, so I'm glad I participated. Superb entries from everyone, I had a blast playing all of these.

Now everybody go map! 
Tens 
Great feedback here and looks like I found another youtuber to subscribe to!

If you are referring to the yellow frog secret it is more or less something similar to having the author's name spelled out in the void. I'm making it my trademark that ideally appears in all of my official releases.

Don't feel like your naming convention isn't interesting...I appreciate a good map name as I find it to be an integral part of the experience. I get less involved in a map if it is called untitled or jam9_fucknut. Considering my title was a Seinfeld reference I don't think you should worry. ;) 
Streamed The Map-pack 
Will probably be up here for a week or two before it gets pulled -

https://www.twitch.tv/fifthelephant 
Also On Youtube... 
@Tens 
Thank you Tens* And yes, everyone can do whatever they want to while playing these maps. I spotted two things this time. One related to this yellow window, which can be walk through after scrags attacked. That window changes to illusionary. I kind of knew that even if it is logical, it is still possible that player will not notice it, and I assume you trusted on that you hit it already. Maybe I make it shootable which will trigger the same event.

And surely I will introduce these wind tunnels earlier. Maybe under the Obelisk there is undeeground tech rooms that control these magic wind tunnels.

Also enforcers are there because they are guards yet transporters through the slitgate ports. They just make sure that Ogres(smitchs) will use them. They protect supplies that clearly aren't from medieval time. Since grunts are more into technical stuff, Enforcers are stronger and move and protect these "boxes" 

Smiths I mean, sorry typos. 
@Tens & @FifthElephant 
Oh sorry, I confused FifthElephant's stream to ItEndsWithTens's Review, he almost played the same way as you described or something* 
RetroFifth 
Thanks FifthElephant for playing the jam. I caught the after recording so sorry to miss it live. Glad you enjoyed my map (mjb) and I only have released three maps so far (2 being jams) so you probably haven't played anything else of mine! 
Thanks For The Stream Fifth! 
I watched it live but couldn't comment because of my keyboard. 
Going To Stream This In A Little Bit 

Yes, I know I'm the only one who finds that the slightest bit interesting or fun.
I happen to like learning where names come from - even when it's from something as trivial as an Econoline. It's a glimpse into the author's thought process, and in this case said thought process is more interesting than "let's name it after a song I like". 
What Muggy Said 

+1 

Kaffikopp 
Managed to catch the stream live but I couldn't comment since I was on my phone.

You have are some high octane stuff and I sat with a nervous twitch while seeing you jump to places I never intended haha. Nice job on getting the secrets and decimating my map! 
Heh 
Yes, that's just the style I like to play and one of the main reasons I love Quake, fast and frantic gameplay and being able to do trickjumps etc. Thanks for making maps to play! 
Well That's A Relief 
Thanks for the comments, then, I don't feel quite as embarrassed to explain where my goofy map name came from. To be honest it usually is just song titles or lyrics, though I do try to make the levels suit them.

Agreed about Kaffikopp's stream! In a couple of the previous jams I've seen speedrunners play my levels, it's always a crazy ride. The dog/fiend gag I thought so highly of wasn't timed right for that speed of play, unfortunately, but it was still fun to watch. 
"wasn't Timed Right For That Speed Of Play" 
I've always run into that. Seems to be a balance that's hard to nail down. My sisters used to play my earlier maps frequently, one would rush, the other would be cautious. Fun challenge though to think about that sort of thing. 
I'm Not A Very Imaginative Person With Map Titles 
And just like Tens and a few other people I usually give my maps titles of pieces of music I happen to listen to while making them. These also 'dictate' how the map flows somewhat. Best example of that would be my jam2 map that starts a bit slow and ramps up considerably.

Conference of the Shamblers was named after the classic poem The Conference of the Birds but also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooxu9qa3mTw
I Don't Mind If Your Hands Are Cold was straight up named after this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyGVTk4v3Ko
An Angel Was Heard To Cry Over The City of Celepha´s was named after that one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0D8jRAxb-4
Dysnystaxis {... A Chance Meeting With Somnus} (which caused issues with loading games because of the brackets) is named after that track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWgg7o3QWZU
Geometry of Murder is named after the classic Earth track of the same name: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnhmPU0Lc40
Seeing Faces Where There Shouldn't Be Faces isn't named after a song title but lyrics from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnsd2nL2tSw

The only maps of mine with names that don't come from song titles or lyrics are Ghastly Citadel, Acrophobopolis, Oblivionaut (wanted to call it Ethernaut) and Red Hatred. 
It Is Not Bad Practice At All 
After all many mappers doesn't speak English as their mother language. I often end up looking something from the lyrics or poetry. But I think, if it is possible.. having a short name that is quite unique, might be more powerful than the long one.

Extreme example of too long names might be some of those Japanese manga or game titles* 

My map will get a proper name for its proper release, the name reflected how I felt about the end product.

The map is a lot better ATM, but it's still just polishing a turd. 
Names 
Cool to see that other people actually care about the map title. For me, it is one of the initial things that sets me up for what I may be experiencing in the map...type of mood and the like.

I find I name maps like Skacky although not too much with music or lyrics but in that the title sets a theme for the map itself. 

Skacky that's incredible, thanks for sharing! I'd always wondered how you came up with those titles, they're some of the Quakiest goddamn names I've ever heard.

I really do enjoy a good map title, it adds tremendous personality to the level. Especially with Quake, which I think more openly than other games acknowledges the relationship between us and the mapper, the give and take of not just player versus environment, but player versus designer. Not usually outwardly confrontational, but with a cutesy back-and-forth playfulness that makes the experience more of a dance than a fight. A well chosen name serves as an introduction to that, like a charming pickup line. 
Very Nice Pack 
Played it a week ago. I enjoyed all maps, and each had some unique quality to them. Can't comment in much detail after this time, though. Why this was released to be run as a mod is beyond me. Demos

Breezeep: Theoretically a nice short romp, but apparently untested, because severe lack of ammo which makes gameplay frustrating.

Bloughsburgh: Proper E3M5 piece all around.

Tens: Oddly cute in a Sonic the Hedgehog sort of way.

NewHouse: Solid small map Bit green in places?

QMaster: Cool artistic/abstract architecture, bit of a geocomp vibe.

Shamblernaut: Bright, good trick with the fans.

S*****: Quality map, obvious heritage. End fight too little cover and too reliant on meticulous Quad timing. 
What's Geocomp? 

Notes 
Thanks negke for playing, was fun to watch a later demo! Nice job getting the majority of the secrets and you actually almost got the most hidden one!

S*****

Ah, I see now. 
"A Bit Green In Places" 
You know, aliens/ancients* 
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2017 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.