News | Forum | People | FAQ | Links | Search | Register | Log in
General Abuse
Talk about anything in here. If you've got something newsworthy, please submit it as news. If it seems borderline, submit it anyway and a mod will either approve it or move the post back to this thread.

News submissions: http://celephais.net/board/submit_news.php
First | Previous | Next | Last

:( I still haven't beaten Hexen II, even 19 years after buying it. 
@Cocerello - Textures 
Cocerello making textures for Quake is not technically difficult at all, you just have to have an eye for it.

Doing a hue or saturation change to an existing set (ie. the IK set) is not hard, but whether or not it looks good is a different question.

All you need to make or modify textures is TexMex and a good photo editor that can work with palettes. You must download the Quake palette (just search it its hosted everywhere...) And I suggest you also create a palette file minus the last 32 fullbright colours.

Use Texmex to obtain textures from a map, or import your new textures into a wad. Starting with other textures is good for beginners.

You will need to load the texture into a photo editor, convert it to RGB based image before making hue and saturation changes. Then reapply the indexed palette when finished. Applying the Quake palette can have devastating effects on your image and you need to be prepared to hand paint pixels that don't look good. Never just drop an image into Texmex, this is a poor approach that leads to ugly textures.
Quake doesn't have any actual red in the palette, just crimsons and browns. One of the true reds is a fullbright, and Texmex sometimes confuses your red with this color, so you need to be careful when importing into Texmex.

I spend a lot of time with some textures especially working with red. When I make a texture and hand paint from scratch it can take weeks. These 'red' banners took me three weeks to get right and they are mostly violet and pink. Some of the other textures you see here are hue/saturation changes I made in only a few minutes:
https://i.imgur.com/Z73qEOP.png

I use mtPaint which is free software to create pixel art.

Take your time and have fun. 

Making actually good textures is hard. Finding out the best dithering mode and gamma curve, along other factors, makes a huge difference in many cases. Afterwards, you may often find yourself layering different pixels from multiple diverse approaches to get the best results, while also manually retouching some pixels that gets bad colors in all cases.

But there are lots of poorly edited textures in Quake and in many custom maps anyway, so people got used to cheap approaches and don't know any better. In some original Quake textures we can even find leftover pixels from different texture variations, caused by poor cropping. 
Thank You, Redfield 
My main concern was with homogeneity in the methods used so the textures would still be similar to the originals while using the same colours as the others in the pack and not resort to manually editing with this case with Ik. How good it will look, i know i will need experience for that.
Ik textures are very good because they are one of the best on how hard is to spot the tiling and it seemed that making a new ik would be useful and easy to get the hang of it. As mankrip says there is many texture packs with issues even amongst some of the most popular ones but Ikblue seems to not be amongst them and i like to use it for that, as it fits my speedmaps.

What caught my attention the most is that i thought that working in RGB was only for new textures and when modifying existing Quake textures was better to work in Quake palette to avoid the problems from converting back into Quake, which can be obnoxious.

The shot looks good by the way, but it is taking me some effort to believe that it is from Quake sometimes. Looks too similar but not. 
TexMex???? 
Does it have awesome noise sampling? Does it have recolor? Does it have reduce colors? Does it let you mipmap? Can you view the texture tiled?

And biggest of all...does it have directional noise (like for instant wood grain and such)?

If your Quake texture editor sucks...look no further than the best. Use Wally! 
Wally???? 
Do you like having a 20yr old editor that crashes all the time? Do you like having an editor that doesn't knkw if it is meant for textures or pak files? Do you like having a program that forgets what pallet it was using? Do you want a program that never gets updated?

Look no further than Wally! 
But 
Texmex is a wad manager, not a texture editor. 
Oh. Then That Wpuld Be Why I Only Use Wally 

TexMex has no gamma correction on its color quantization algorithm. Due to this, it can preserve some image details that gets lost when using better editors to convert truecolor images to the Quake palette. The colors are less faithful, but some details ends up better than in the gamma-correct quantization employed by professional image editors such as The GIMP.

Sometimes, I combine both TexMex quantization and GIMP's gamma-correct quantization to get the best possible results. 

Texmex is only for getting the textures into and out of your WAD for game use.

You should really be using an actual editor like photoshop. I use mtPaint cause reasons. 

I won't pirate Photoshop, and for this single use case (non-correct quantization), TexMex is waaay more lightweight.

I use whatever tools that gives the results I'm looking for. 

Yeah I use it for making multiple brightness variants of textures too. It works ok in this case. Texmex really does feel like a hacked together MacGyver-esque tool, so I don't like to do too much with it. 
I Agree 
The same can be said for AdQuedit, even more so since it lets you delete windows. 
@Tronyn 
Are you getting my emails? Or are you still having issues? 

Texture Blending 
https://samjcreations.blogspot.com/2018/06/version-de-developpement-gimp-2991.html
Dev version of gimp with great blending in indexed mode. The new official 2.10 has indexed locked for some reason. 

Sounds pretty neat given GIMP's normally rudimentary support for images in indexed mode, but I don't speak a word of that language and a quick Google Translate isn't helping much so no idea how neat it actually is. 
Doom 5 Eternal Trialer 
https://youtu.be/c9GU4P-1AWI

Because I don't think it's been posted on func yet. 
Wats Wrong With 
d5 trailer? 
Hell On Earth 

Looking For Tes6 

@spud 
You don't need to read french to use gimp tho.
http://gegl.org/babl/ is the stuff making work.
Recommend downloading and giving a shot if you're familiar with gimp 
@spud 
I bit the bullet the other day and downloaded it, it's fully available in english once you extract the archive. In case you're not sure what the download link is:
https://i.imgur.com/4BQtESB.png 

Of course, whether or not you trust the french to not put viruses in the download is another matter. Sneaky french... 
Re 
The 2.99 seems way buggier than the previous versions.
2.10.2 on the same page is the way to go.. 
Dumb Question Time 
Quake Champions, can you make maps for that? Without having to work for id, I mean. 

nope 

By the way, did Quake Live support custom maps? 
Nope 

Wha? 
srsly? That's bloody shameful if true - it's just q3!

Was any reasoning ever given? 
Yes, It Did! 
Even Bal's maps are playable from the workshop. 
Oh 
They are! I totally forgot about the Steam Workshop. 

Oh, so it had a workshop. Nice.

Some sort of SnapMap could have been popular in QChamp. 

Dear diary, today OTP got a Quake-fact wrong. Today was a good day. 

There's even a func_mappack although honestly it is mostly Bal :-) https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=588931999 

How can i take a quake mdl and use it in hexen2 without screw up the colors of the skin?

I know quake and hexen2 has different palettes, but i can't figure out how to change the palette without change all the colors (i opened the model with QME and loaded a hexen2 palette and all the colors went wrong) 
Piss off nutjob. 

Totally normal reaction. 

You don't get to use the word "normal". 
PS. 
If you're only here to start shit, which was visible even in the way you "released" zjam2, there's a beef thread where you can release all your pent up anger with how this community mistreated you and your funny antics. :^) 

Totally normal reaction. 
PS 
Feel free to explain my wrongdoings in sharing the pack, btw. Im all ears. 
Gays, Get A Room. 
This one might be good, it comes with a free STD check at the door: http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=16069&start=312 
Untested 
How can i take a quake mdl and use it in hexen2 without screw up the colors of the skin?

You could try to export the skin to .bmp before converting the model to Hexen 2 format, then import the skin again after converting the format. This ought to get the colours close.

In practice the best way is to use a proper graphics program to create a skin in the Hexen 2 palette (based on the original) and then import that onto the model. Any automatic process will only produce middling results I'm afraid, you need to adapt the skin by hand to get something that looks good. 
Qmaster 
Your email is out of order, can you take a look at it? 
Seems Fine. 
Tronyn isn't responding to my emails either so maybe he isn't getting them. I sent you an email just now. Let me know ifyou get it. 
Qmaster 
I had an error with the dot space.
It looks fine now, don't mind getting the message twice. 
System Shock - Shockolate 
Doom2: Nam 
somebody able/willing to create more misions/levels/wads for this fun Doom2 mod
https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/addons/doom-vietnam
pls? 
@MFX And Maddy Fox 
would you join the gang at TF discord https://discord.gg/DE3TDK 
Spy 
...would you kindly finish that map i play tested? :) 
@Dumptruck_ds 
its partially finished and updated since the fall of 2017,

but i decided to scrap it

't was my fault to attempt to update that shant be updated 
Too Bad 
Ah man. You ruined my day. I really liked the theme. Some nice designs. Might have to do something similar with that wad one day. 
I'd Rather 
beta test any of your map, for compensation 
Might Have To Do Something Similar With That Wad One Day. 
reffer to kinn maps 
Thanks! 
I need to replay Marcher. I don't recall if I finished it. I have played Bastion yet. 
Kinn Is A Living God 

Kinn Is A Massive Chode. 
And a sort of living godlette. 
:( 
9th February 

No Kinns Q Maps 
Although 
That said, I am still impressed at how I managed to get Marcher working in bog-standard WinQuake. I swear to god, that's where 90% of the development time went. 
Still A Top Notch 
and the bestest Q map ever created, 
Dugnammit 
but thanks :} 
Who Would Win? 

vs.

#30367 + #30373. 
Lol Otp 
you're still wondering

i've been a huge kinn fan for years

and now you're compare your whinning to my admire kinns work 
The Most Resent Whine 
Changed my mindset completely. Please ignore me metl, I want more stuff like #2267 all over the board.

everything you do, is a plane whinning or trolling

and you're shitlist 
I've Asked You 
bout RJ's work, and you ignored me 
*your 

No Responce From Otp, Yet 
stay tuned 
Via Smoogle 
jesteś głupcem, próbowałeś normalnie się z tobą komunikować, najwyraźniej twój głupi kot nie rozumie tego 
ебанутый языу конечно 

Twój Głupi Kot 
not sure ,

that sounds like 'your stupid cat',

but no 
Piss 

Peace 
i'm mean it 
Am I in the gang or bang? 

Wow, Twitter hid Fifth's reply to Romero
Happy Birthday Quake 
Transparent Water 
Could someone post instructions on how to VIS a map for transparent water? I can't get vispatch 1.4.6 to work. 

Sock just released a new AD map on twitter:

http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/sp/ad_grendel.htm

someone should make a post about this. Looks really good :) 
Maiden 
Newly compiled maps will have transparent water by default on most compilers.

If you want to add transparent water to maps for which you don't have the source, download UQMP from here and use its reVis tool. 
It's also worth noting that reVis will fix the BSP's CRC check, something that other tools usually ignore and that results in bugs in some engines. 
@mankrip 
Thanks! Yes I know, this is mostly for older maps from back in the day. So is this another tool like vispatch? I'll give it a go. 

It's a toolkit I've made back in my Dreamcast quakedev days. It's .bat file based, so I'm not sure if it'll work in modern systems. 
Does Reviewing Make You Play Less? 
I've been playing dm4jam maps on-and-off since May. My pace has been painfully slow, though, with only 3 maps played. Of course there are the typical reasons for the slow progress like working on my own map, life getting in the way etc. but then there's the review process... Sometimes it just feels such a huge chore that it makes me not want to play maps, since I feel obliged to review them afterwards.

Recording demos and commenting during gameplay isn't bad at all, but it's writing the main review that's the most time-consuming and tiresome part, which can sometimes take a lot of time with me (30+ min). Quite often I restart the map while writing the review to check if I had forgotten to mention something about the map or reassess my initial thoughts.

For example, if I had missed secrets during my first playthrough, I'd restart the map and try to find them for the review, so I could give my assessment on how the secrets affect the balance of the map etc.

I very well might have finished playing through the dm4jam maps a long time ago, if it wasn't for the tedious review process. That's why if I want to unwind after work and play something without having to think too much, Quake isn't the first game in my list, unfortunately. I might play maps that I have already reviewed, but not new maps, because I'd likely end up spending more time on writing their reviews than actually playing them.

Does anybody else get this or is it just me? 

Are you just talking about posting reviews in the func thread after a map release?

You're under no obligation to write a review or even say anything at all. Any mapper will appreciate you just saying you played it and had a good time.

The people who do write reviews (which is only a subset of those people who play the maps) do it because they like to write reviews. Don't force yourself to do something that's a chore. 

Albert Einstein once said that if his life depended on solving a problem in only one hour, he would use fifty-five minutes determining the right question to ask, “Once I know the proper question,” he said, “I could solve the problem in less than five minutes.” Einstein understood that if we begin with the wrong question we will never arrive at the right answer. 
@ #30396 
You're doing it the hardest way. Start an audio recording and comment while you play. Then simply transcribe your audio. Or even better, get Dragon and have it write the transcript while you comment.

That should bang out a good 80% of the work right there. 
@ #30396 
Sorry for the double post. This site doesn't let me edit and I had one more idea for Esrael.

Don't review the game while YOU play it. Go watch some play-through and write your review based on that. Arrrcee (YoutTube: The Quake Grave) makes high quality play-throughs of like every map as soon as it comes out. You could just "bounce" your review off of his videos and go play all the Quake you want.

Or just stop writing reviews cause they probably can't compare to Arrrcee's already made high quality video reviews.

Just sayin'. 
Or Just Do What I Do 
which is make a video review, but just end up rambling on about tea and frozen chicken kievs instead of the map:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRTYyQrkPA&list=PLzplQrZpMjlbiVqkKXID0JguzUTrv4V_J 

You're Clench Throckmorton! Man google has been arguing with me forever about whether I know you. And I don't but, at least I understand now where the reference is coming from.

lol @ "lil red shooty buttons" (in your video) 
I Am Indeed 
^_~ 

Gypsy 
Hehe, nice one :) 
Originality Is Dead 
I thought I'd totally rip o...be inspired by Other Places youtube channel and do something similar for cool Quake maps : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPMH3IB6D-o

Any criticisms welcome :) 
+1 Here 
nice work 
Cool 
FOV could maybe be widened out on some shots. 
@DaZ 
I would suggest trying to tell a story with the video. Show a path, some progression and something changing, no point having the world empty. Also experiment more with different camera movements (pans/zooms) and think about how you are connecting together each camera sequence. Maybe try to sync the music to certain shot sequences.

Here's some examples I did a while ago 1 2 3

Glad to hear you are back to your YT channel, you have/had such a strong following and an audience who still loves to see your stuff. :) 
@DaZ 
Very cool! 
@Esrael 
I just play maps for my own enjoyment. While I would like to review them extensively, there's not much of a point. The authors don't really care in my experience. I'd wager most people are making maps largely for their own sake and as long as they're satisfied, they won't care what others have to say whether it's good or bad.

I've raved about a lot of maps and mods that have blown me away but there's plenty of stuff that I have never reviewed or critiqued in any fashion. There are tons of maps to play and not enough time to play them to spending upwards of 30 minutes reviewing every single one could really suck the enjoyment out of the whole process.

Reviews are probably more helpful for people who are new and who are therefore looking for useful critiques. They're also good for people who might be having doubts about the quality of their mapping. In my experience, established mappers couldn't care less about what anyone has to say so no sense in worrying yourself about reviewing every map, especially in such a detailed fashion. A sentence or two about what you liked would probably suffice. 
@esrael @poorchop 
Well I have learned that demos/recordings of initial playthroughs are priceless. In addition, I think some basic highlights suffice, in my opinion. I've really appreciated feedback both positive and negative in order to gauge what players enjoy most in a map vs what I like. In short- even brief feedback is good feedback! 

Fucking Anon Spammer 

I just compiled & ran yquake2 and it's one of the best engines around. Pretty vanilla, just works. I've been trying to play online, though, but doesn't seem to work on Linux.

I've tried joining servers, but I don't get any. I've also tried playing with myself on LAN, but my address is always 0.0.0.0 and I can't connect. Am I doing something wrong? 

Yeah, that's cool and all, but I really like the idea of playing online with the software renderer. 
Idiot Question 
i accidentally bound 1 to something. what command to i need to bind the key to for fucking axe? 
Impulse 1 

thanks 
Yet Another 3d Engine 
Armory 3d engine has recently gone free and open source with the permissive zlib license. It's very much in development and has a small team behind it, but it also has some features that may be interesting: for example, close integration with Blender and deployment to multiple target platforms. The latter is possible because it's based on the Haxe programming language.

https://armory3d.org/

I came across it recently in connection with Blender. Someone suggested it as an alternative to Blender Game Engine which is now officially discontinued in Blender 2.8. I have never used BGE, but Armory looked interesting enough to share with you folks on its own merits.

If you use Blender, it might already do something useful for you, maybe as a rapid prototyping tool using modern real-time rendering techniques. If you'd just like to have a peek at what it can do, they have demo videos on their Youtube channel, linked from the above site.

(Blender 2.8 is in early alpha ATM. Armory is not going to be a core part of it.) 
WHATT????? 
Funny that I should learn on here about Blender losing the game engine. I suppose it makes sense though....I guess....but but Eevee is like a new....whatever. 
Couple Of Blender Things 
Luckily the Blender org is really good with keeping old stable versions around, so as long as your OS doesn't make it too hard to run them, you can use any Blender version you like. It will be possible to work on more projects using BGE or the old internal renderer for long time to come.

Now, as I understand it, Eevee is and will be only concerned with rendering at real-time or near real-time speeds. It's also the major reason they're upping the minimum OpenGL version requirements to 3.3 in the new branch.

They haven't forgotten about interactivity though. A recent message from a mailing list outlined plans for the future. They are giving a grant to someone to work on particular features part time.

Summing it up, they want to implement an interactive mode that makes working with simulations and baking them into animations "pleasant & usable." They are also inviting game engine developers to work with them on Blender compability and integration. (This is something that open source engine creators might particularly like. It's not like they have the resource to create their own equivalent of Unreal Editor.)

Source: https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2018-May/049438.html

I'd say that's enough Blender talk for now. I find that checking the recent Youtube videos on Blender now and then is enough for me to keep up to date on the latest developments. 
Texture Resource 
This site has a smallish selection of textures that could be useful for a variety of projects. The license is not overly restrictive.

https://textures.pixel-furnace.com

(According to my Google search, this hasn't been posted before.) 
Necros 
What are you up to? 
Come On Otp 
tter.com/onetruepurple/status/1018992393704628224

i called you a thousand things, and maybe you deserved half of them, and you know it even, but i also named the hardest keys in my maps named after you, calm down please. I did not write #345. 
Im So Pissed Right Now 

Posts with like #345 ought to be removed routinely.

Leaving it up just serves to encourage more of the same.

Posts like #345 can be done in another part of the internet (chat, Twitter, ..) and don't need to be here. 
Um Wrong Thread? We're Up In The 30 Thousands Here 

I flagged that post it since it's too personal IMO. Which, FYI, us moderators have been selectively doing for a little while now. I know it exists in the "beef thread" which was intended to get people to air their grievances, but I wonder if there's value in encouraging people to call each other names. Maybe it should be "keep your grievances to yourself." Either way, this specific post got flagged. 

Known users disagreeing is sincerity.

Anons sniping is vandalism.

The difference is that the anon sniping doesn't care about the site, the moderators or members of the community.

Or they haven't thought it through to realize the above. Don't make the mistake of thinking they will -- either they are 12 and don't know better or they aren't 12 and have a long-life behavioral issue.

Protip: This ain't Minecraft, Runescape or Roblox. It's not a 12 year old. It's always #2 here.

In a smaller community, there are only 1-2 bad apples. There are other places on the internet where abnormals can find other abnormals to call names and the other uncivilized things they like to do.

Set them free!

Establish they need to go elsewhere to engage their abnormal behaviors!

They'll be happier amongst their peers -- calling each other names, using all the bad words to their hearts content. It'll be bliss for them.

Everyone wins! They just need to find their home! 
Yup. 
That's the way I tend to do it. Known users with consistent names are accountable to their beefing etc and it can be put in the context - or just make up - a bigger picture. Anon stuff can't. 
Also Starting To Think That Anon Posting Should Be Disabled. 
The overwhelming majority of anon posts are flame bait. The argument for anon posting always was to have a low entry barrier. But it appears to me that new people almost always create an account on their first post anyway.

Plus we should take a look at fixing accounts (https for security, working email password reset). 
Can You Also Look Into Banning TOR Exit Nodes? 
https://check.torproject.org/cgi-bin/TorBulkExitList.py

They were used en masse when IPs were still visible, it's possible the anons have stopped using it when the addresses were taken out but there's a good chance they didn't.

(There's the counterargument that legitimate users are using it and it's not a "troll tool". Sure. In the same way everybody in the 2000's used BitTorrent for legal downloads.) 
I Don't Think This Should Be Done All At Once 
Maybe either of these measures is already enough to deter these posters. 
Possible. 
Thanks for doing this btw. 
Wait 
nothing is decided, this is all up to metlslime 
I Started Posting Without An Account 
My first few entries were posted without an account. (I did sign all of them, though.) I might have started posting here without anon posting, regardless, but it probably helped me to take the step to create an account. 

When it's not blatant trolling, there is often some worthy posting from various anons. Be a shame to just shut the door on even a few decent people. I admit I have done some trolling myself, though I don't feel guilty since it was hardly malicious. 

Well, I have nothing against stuff like the anon trolls attacking me in the prefabs thread. I see it as people wanting to be emotionally sincere without risking their reputation, and to some extent it can be fun.

What I draw the line at is when people's feelings get hurt, and when the trolling is systematically carried on to put people down. Heated discussions can be interesting, but only when communication is preserved. Anger can be dealt with, but sadness can easily result in irreversible damages — like people leaving the community. Angry people only leaves when they're also saddened.

So far the case-by-case judgment of the moderators seems fair. 
I Am Against Anon Posts 
The discourse here has gotten worse lately. If people have a beef they have a thread for it. Why give the mods more to do just because someone wants to be an asshole? 

Worthy posting from anon posters? I'd like to see examples.

We have one anon poster with Trinca-levels of grammar who tries to be offensive and mock people here but instead is obviously an idiot with the IQ of a clam.
We have one or two anon posters who are highly likely to be registered members here who don't post with their accounts anymore so they can flame a few select people with impunity.
And then we have tons of worthless anon posts.

These worthy anons can register if they want. So can the few anon assholes, so we know who they are before they're banned. 

dumptruck: Good point about the beef thread. Maybe it would be a good idea to limit anon posting to the Site Help & Beef threads only. Maybe also to General Abuse. 

There are worthy posts from anons in higher profile releases: Arcane Dimensions, TrenchBroom, etc.

I personally would strongly prefer anon posting to be allowed .. when I need beta testing on something like QuakeDroid or Mark V ...

... the ease of getting feedback from anons that don't have to jump through hoops really helps.

Why not ask for a few extra moderators to hide crap like new post #349?

I think you could get 6-7 moderators easy to hide/delete pure garbage posts. otp, spud, shamblernaut? probably plenty of others 
Barrier To Entry 
Needing an account is hardly a barrier on func_. The account system is so basic that not only would it be trivially easy for interested new users to make one and start posting, but it would also be just as easy for the anon trolls to make junk accounts and flame using those until they get banned.
The best solution is more moderation, sadly. If trolls don't get a chance to be seen, they'll get bored and stop eventually. 

It might stop some of the spam at least? 

The problem with filling this place up with a load of busybody moderators is that you very quickly go from "just ban obvious spam/troll posts" to "ban opinions I don't like".

One person's "troll post" is another person's "terrible opinion but still an opinion".

Happens on every shitty forum with a lot of mods. We're better than that. 
Oh And Also 
At what point exactly did we all turn into such a bunch of pussies?

Back in the day, the quake community was a pretty fun, unfiltered place. You could say whatever, jerk about with each other, and it was all fine.

Some time in the last few years, everyone started getting offended by everyone else and rage-quitting, and setting up their own little safe quake spaces elsewhere.

Fucking millennials, I tell ya.

I imagine this post will get deleted for "spam", so whatever. 
You don't get to say "we" about "the quake community" without using your own name, you fucking moron. 

He should hurry up and create a login called "anonymous user" before its taken. 
Forigner 
I can't log in anonymouse, so I can't spam.
I'm trumpilized. 
Beef is fine, there's plenty of that that goes on with known people slagging each other off.

Repeated off-topic unaccountable sniping is less fine, and considerably less entertaining. 

Come on Shambler, don't be a fucking millenial pussy. Anon is the real deal. 

The idea that stopping anon trolls with registration is a totally and absolute folly. Trolls will create junk accounts if they have to, using gmx.net or create new gmail accounts or new Microsoft live accounts.

They did at QuakeOne when it was a, uh, fully operational site all the time. 
John Carmack At Quakecon 2000 
I've posted Carmack's talk from Quakecon 2000 on YouTube. 2 parts. About 95% of the talk. A few things needed to be cut out but it was an interesting time at id.

This was shortly after they cancelled Quest and had just started Doom 3. A year before the Xbox was released and 3 years before Steam.

Enjoy!

Part 1

Part 2 
The Return Of The Mug, Take 2 
Hiya quakers! So, yeah... You may have noticed that my *ahem* triumphant return last year was quite unexpectedly short-lived... In a nutshell, both my second computer and my phone went kaput one after the other, effectively rendering me dead to the interwebz and the outside world. And with zero cash to spare in repairs/purchases, I got stuck in Netherworld limbo for a whole human pregnancy's time. But the Elder Gods finally found it fit to unleash Yours Truly onto the world once again - that is, I got my laptop fixed. Believe it or not, it really took me NINE FUCKIN' MONTHS to buy a mere 25€ power charger! Yeah, I'm that broke... :( Anyway, I'm back in the saddle (here's hoping I'll get to stick around a lil' bit longer this time) and it seems I gots me a whole lotta catching up to do. You guys kept pretty busy while I was out of the picture! So without further ado, here's to a muddafukkin' load of quaking coming up. Cheers y'all, and thanks for all the fish! 
Welcome Back! 
I was wondering where you had gone. 
@mugwump 
9 months to save 25 bucks? You could have begged under a bridge and made 25$ in one day. Go rake somebody's yard or something. Not trying to be a dick but, that whole story sounds like you made no effort at all, bro. At 9 years old I stole windex and a squeegie from my mom and started washing windows during rush hour at the ferry landing that was 5 or 6 blocks from my house. I worked about 2 hours a day and was making a bit over 100$ a week doing it. I was 9. What's up with people these days? Just no ambition at all even when their own life suffers from it. I don't understand. 

@Esrael Thanks. I'll try my best to make my comeback worthwhile this time around and produce more than a couple tunes. I want to finally put my mapping ideas to fruition.

@Gypsy Heh... Well, for starters I have *some* trouble finding a job (understatement of the year), I have too much self respect to start begging and I won't resort to robbing people. I have both myself and my mother's dog to feed on a meager State solidarity income, so yeah...
As for raking and the likes, at 45, I think people might consider me a bit suspiciously if I go around looking for a kid's job. And do you seriously expect me to ruin my lungs at traffic lights waiting for some dude to refuse me washing his windshield?! I bet my life would suffer much more from lung cancer than from a wallet on a diet.
At this point, I'm seriously considering putting my own business up once I finally get to cash in my mom's inheritance, even though I have no idea at all what kind of business it's gonna be... 
@mugwump 
Welcome back! You def have a lot of catching up to do.

Have you thought about offering some kind of serve on websites like fivrr? https://www.fiverr.com/

I have a friend who is doing some simple graphics work and he loves it. 
Thx Dump! 
First time I hear about this kind of sites, so thanks for the tip! I sure could offer my services as a composer, even though I'm not at all comfortable with turning a passion of mine into a daily job - that's why I've always refused to become a cook.

Out of curiosity, how much is your friend making with this? 

@gypsy you should've loaned him some Quake Runes. he probably wouldve been rich in no time. 
Hyark! 
Ooh, I know: I'm gonna mine bitcoins like a mofo! (jk) 

At what point exactly did we all turn into such a bunch of pussies?

Back in the day, the quake community was a pretty fun, unfiltered place. You could say whatever, jerk about with each other, and it was all fine.

It's been about 20 years since the early (qmap) days of this board. Doing the maths... carry the 2, divide by pi... that makes the surviving folk of that era 20 years older. I've certainly mellowed and reduced in my desire to argue with anyone on the internet in that time.

If people do want to beef with each other and be silly that's all good in my book though, but maybe the number of people who go in for that has decreased a bit. 
Demo Recording 
I'm still relatively new to demo recording and I have a few questions that need to be addressed:

1) I know a demo stops recording when the player either dies or exits the map. If you die, can you record a new demo from your last savegame or do you have to play the entire level again from the start? I tried to do that with quicksaves and it doesn't seem to work, haven't tried with a proper save.
2) Is there a way to somehow prevent the demo recording from stopping upon death and continue with a reload?
3) Similarly, is it possible to record demos for full episodes or are you limited to recording standalone demos for each individual map within an episode? 
Demo Commands 
Some engines improve the demo handling, I'll let people with more knowledge pitch in on which engines do what.

There also exist come old tools that can take demos that spanned map loads and fix the playback - either by splitting them out into multiple files or by some other magic. However, they may rely on the demos being recorded in the old network protocol (15). Most new engines use different protocols due to the features they add - e.g. fitzquake uses protocol 666 by default (but can be switched back).

What I will say is that in answer to Q1, the following sequence of console commands lets you record a demo to a new file and resume to the quicksave point after dying:

disconnect
record demo_mk2
load quick 
Thanks Preach! 
Does the _mk2 thing need to be typed like that? I supposed I could name it any way I wanted (in my case, I just added simple numbers to the demo name). 
Free Text 
Yeah, you can name the demo anything, that was just meant to be a prompt to ensure you don't use the same demo name as before, because that overwrites the earlier attempt!

I will admit that I do that deliberately sometimes - if I'm creating a demo which resumes from a save game, I use the same demo name for each attempt that starts from that save point, even if I die in the same way 2nd time. I only advance the filename when I get further, make a new quicksave, and then die again. That way I'm only recording two attempts at each section of a map, the time I died there, and the time I finally succeed. 
Mugwump 
Mark_V has cl_autodemo 1(or 2 if you use a refresh rate over 72). It's pretty slick. It will create demos named something like: auto_demo1, auto_demo2 across reloads and deaths. 
Cool! 
Thanks for the clarification, Preach.

And dump, thanks for the tip. I seldom ever use Mark V but it does have a shitload of neat features. This autodemo thing should propagate to other engines IMO. 
@Mugwump 
Mark_v's supporting continuous demo recording, and have the ability to record demos on the fly 
Yes, Thank You Spy, 
dumptruck already pointed me to it two posts above... I was playing an AD map in the latest QS today and also found out that it doesn't stop recording upon changelevel. :)

BTW, you should consider changing the color of your alias: it's quite hard to decipher on the grey background. 

Demos shouldn't stop recording at the end of a level.

So Quakespasm is doing it right.

Everyone at func once had a big about that topic. Quakespasm and Mark V followed the consensus that if someone wants to record one demo doing 10 maps, that's the user's perogative to do.

That's why Quakespasm and Mark V (and DarkPlaces and probably FTE) can play back demos recorded across maps.

Which DarkPlaces pioneered. Then some Baker dude mining for truffles noticed and wrote up a tutorial and more engine followed ...

Original Quake records demos across maps and DarkPlaces no doubt does as well. 

Quakespasm and Mark V (and DarkPlaces and probably FTE) can play back demos recorded across maps.
Yes, I typed a post in the QS thread explaining that I found out about that. I wasn't aware that you could chain levels in a single demo since I never had recorded or watched one for an episode. Too bad you can't do that upon death+F9, though. 
Bal's Old Maps? 
I was so impressed by Bal's entry in the Xmas jam that I did a search in the Quaddicted database for his old maps. All I saw bearing his name, apart of course from the Xmas jam, was this speedmapping pack 7. Did I miss something? 

Too bad you can't do that upon death+F9, though.

quickload the map and type in console "record mugwump2", mugwump3, mugwump4 etc 

Sanity.bsp by Bal.

The most fucking awesome 12-16 player Clan Arena map this side of q1edge.

I'm sure he didn't make it with Clan Arena in mind, but for a rowdy game with lots of players, Sanity was incredible for Clan Arena especially with the circular design and paths.

What was Clan Arena? It was Last Man Standing with teams (Red Vs. Blue). With 12-16 players it was blissful chaos.

short YouTube video

AFAIK: Bal mostly made deathmatch maps. 
Ballacks! 
AFAIK: Bal mostly made deathmatch maps.
Ah. That explains the lack of them on Quaddicted. I'll check Sanity sometime but I don't play DM...
Tnanks anyway, Baker.

@spy: Again, Preach told me that in post #30467... Thanks for trying! ;) 

but I don't play DM...

That was about as necessary comment as saying you don't eat raw porcupine or taste sample random bird droppings.

With all the truly fantastic multiplayer games made in the last 10 years, there is no reason to play multiplayer Quake and hasn't been in ages.

(Except for co-operative use of single player maps. It is the only remaining valid multiplayer use of Quake, there are very few decent co-operative games in this world.) 
I Don't Eat Raw Porcupine Either... 
...nor do I taste sample random bird droppings. Maybe randomly dropping birds on porcupines could make nice kebabs?

there is no reason to play multiplayer Quake
Some hardcore inverterbrate inveterate quakers still do.

What I meant was that in order to check the quality of a DM map besides just doing a tour of the scenery, you have to test it with other players. Or bots. Quake 1 has always been exclusively a single player experience for me (I started trying MP gameplay only with Q3A, mostly against bots, very few times against real people in LAN). 
Mugwump & Baker 
Mugwump, I mostly made multiplayer maps yeah, but I also made 2 of the final maps of Nehara (neh2m5 and 6), the xmas jam map was my ~15 year comeback.

Baker, I didn't make sanity.bsp. I don't really get that video, my reinc5.bsp is in the video image, but in the actually video I only see people playing a Gen and Pingu map (2 of my favourite authors at the tjme!)
Is it some mashed together custom maps? 
Iirc 
Bal is an author of neh2m5 and neh2m6 of nehahra MP and another never released expansion pack for nehahra 

Thank you for your very necessary and spot-on commentary, Baker. What would this community do without you. 
...And What A Brilliant Comeback, Bal! 
Especially considering that you did mostly DM maps before. I hope there's more to come... 

You should check out the map he's working on now. It looks very good and it has a unique style. Smoothest pipes you've never seen. 
And Where Should I Check That? 
Smoothest pipes
You mean better than mfx? Hot damn! 
@Bal 
Interesting. Yeah, I knew you were involved in Nehahra. Didn't know you made reinc5 ...

That video was of a server that run Clan Arena and ran exclusively custom maps, largely mined from pauked.com https://mpqarchive.pauked.com/

That server ran some rare insane gems like reinc5, chesdm1 and there was actually an over-complicated DM map by Glassman (his only one?) that I couldn't see working in deathmatch but it worked for large Clan Arena games.

Here is a video with reinc5 ... @ 1 minute in.

https://youtu.be/k7-PgoUcOmA 
Nostalgia Dredd Maps 
aggressr ac4 ferrum
bsdm8 aggressr gendm1 ferrum
xl1dm4 asylum gmdm1 gendm1
chesdm1 blizz2 gomdm4 gmdm1
imp1dm6 bovine gworld gomdm4
efdm12 bsdm2 head-shot gworld
safe1 bsdm7 imp1dm6 head-shot
reinc5 bsdm8 jndm6 imp1dm6
klzinsanity carddm1 jrdm1 jndm6
asylum chesdm1 kikdm3 jrdm1
cleaver cleaver kikdm6 kikdm3
dmfdm2 cmt1 klzinsanity kikdm6
dokkur cmt3 klzvob klzinsanity
efdm12 cmt4 madness klzvob
kikdm3 cmt5b mgdm2 madness
kikdm6 crdm1 nindm2 mgdm2
klzinsanity damaul7 p3a nindm2
summer dazdm12 reinc3 p3a
dm3again reinc5 reinc3
dmfdm1 safe1 reinc5
dmfdm2 safe2 safe1
dokkur spinev2 safe2
edc summer spinev2
efdm10 trimp summer
efdm12 trimp
xl1dm4
ztndm4

oh the memories! 
Sorry My Maplist Wasnt A Perfect Cut/paste There's Duplicates 

@Bal 
R00k coded the Clan Arena mod run on that server.

That server was some good times. Crazy enjoyable maps. Even newbies had fun.

reinc5 .. goals:

1) Try to knock other players off the edge.
2) Don't get knocked off the edge.
3) If you get knocked off the edge, try to drift back and land in the lower tier or lightning as much before death.

gmdm1 - Knock other players in the slime. Don't fall in the slime.

gendm1 - Try to be airborne. 
Welp, Quaddicted's Down 
Spirit, below you can find a link to a checklist site for GDPR compliance:

http://www.adotas.com/2018/05/gdpr-website-compliance-checklist-ready/ 
Captain Picard TV Series? 
Ok ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CONQlkU7gV8

Totally caught off guard by this video. I had expected it to be an interview.

Patrick Stewart is someone I'd like to see more of. 
Quake 2: Hell Violence (full) 
Complete version for this released: https://www.moddb.com/games/quake-2/addons/hell-violence-full-for-quake-2

(moderator's note: this was a news submission but the pack is from 6 years ago so it doesn't seem like news) 
Metle.... 
Can you edit the timestamp so it will appear as news but 6 years ago?? 

wouldn't it be easier to just travel back in time and post it then? 
Well Yeah But You Need A Challenge :) 

Quake 2: Derelict Facility 
Informations, screenshots and Download:
https://colonthreeenterprises.tumblr.com/post/156354414901/my-quake-2-unit-is-finally-here-3c-it-has

(Moderator's note: 1 1/2 year old "news") 
Vicpas Sort It Out Bro. 

yeah that one already has a news thread: http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61412

Also I just want to say again that those screenshots look great. 
Lost Millenium 
I"m almost finished with a remap of Andrey Willies DM level NC1107,
made in 1997.
It is almost done, only the new monster coding isn't yet balanced.
nc1107 
Lost Millenium 
I"m almost finished with a remap of Andrey Willies DM level NC1107,
made in 1997.
It is almost done, only the new monster coding isn't yet balanced.
nc1107 
Anyone Here Knowledgeable In Terragen 2? 
I've been fiddling with it to try and make some skyboxes. I have a work-in-project, of which I rendered a 512p skybox to see how it looked in-game. I applied the exact same settings to each of the 6 cameras (except direction, duh!) to make sure each side would be rendered identically, but when I'm in-game, I can notice some color discrepancies. If someone can help me understand why, it would be greatly appreciated. Here's a link to an archive containing my Terragen project file, the 6 original rendered bitmaps, their 6 TGA conversions and 3 game screenshots showing the discrepancies (look for a vertical line around the crosshair, as well as the triangle at the bottom showing a distinctly redder down view). 
Geez! 

Set https://i.imgur.com/hJzaPmg.png

at least, I think that's what you need to do. I only used Terragen 2 once, to make the skybox for my xmasjam map, and that was about the only thing i figured out about that damned program... 
@Pritchard 
If you had opened my project file, you would've seen that's what I did... Thanks anyway.

Anyone else? 

Do the colour tweaks in a photo editor on one picture so you can avoid the seams. 
Yeah, 
I'm not that good at PhotoShop... Plus, not all angles make seams and I wouldn't know how to correct a wrong side without affecting the good ones. 
Every Bit Helps 
Not that you guys would care much but figured I would try everywhere...

My wife and I are beginning the process to adopt our first child...and man is it expensive. If you would like to donate and help us out, feel free to do so through Paypal using my email listed on my account here, josiahjack AT siu DOT edu.

If you don't care, fine fine. Go map! Quake on! That sort of thing. 
Huh 
Always assumed you were much younger. 
@kwenan 
(continued from RTCW Age of Horror thread)

So lack of traffic is a reason to continue hijacking a thread with OT? I don't think so, and neither do the mods/admin. 

The guy joined in on the id_tech3/q3 talk and pointed to some cool game and you try to shut him down with some snarky shit? After you yourself done basically the same two posts prior. Fuck off 

@ww 
WTF are you on, dude? I merely tried to redirect the OT discussion to this thread, like I learned was the proper way to do things on this board, then kwenan gave me shit for it.

So what if I started the OT? A couple OT comments aren't a big deal but I was seeing the RTCW thread becoming overrun by this discussion and I only did the necessary damage control.

Fuck yourself off. 
@mfx 
Shouldn't this be a news? 
@mugwump 
Learn some deft before you start trying to mod the board 
I Could Say The Same To You, Sweetie... 
Now get off my back, will you? 
@qmaster 
Thats awesome dude. Best of luck to you and the wife on that journey. 
"necessary Damage Control" 
The argument should really go to the beef thread if you two are going to keep slinging shit at each other like this. BUT I'm not a func_ moderator so it's not my place to say ;-) 
He Doesn't Seem To Be Coming Back For More 
As for me, I've said my piece and I don't think there's more to it. If ww insists on being an ass, I'll be sure to beef the shit outta him. 

If anything would make me come "back for more" it's posts like yours. Here's a picture of a castle instead https://media5.trover.com/T/4fdcbca74f2e69392b000158/fixedw_large_4x.jpg 

Misaligned windows to the left, 1/10. 
Id Game Sale At GOG - 25 Hours Left 
There's a big sale going on for id games (and Bethesda games too) at GOG. So, if anyone of you missed out on some of the classic id shooters, here's your chance to get them pretty cheap. (Personally, I missed out on Final Doom, Quake 2 expansions and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, so Ima probably get 'em.)

https://www.gog.com/promo/20180817_bethesda_weekend?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=20180806_nl_Bethesda_weekend_EN&utm_term=EN 
RTCW For 1.69€? 
Go for it! You won't regret it. 
Finally, An Opportunity For Me To Buy Quake! 
I'm so excited to finally play it after all these years - did you know I made all my maps without ever being able to play them?

/s 
New Worst Way To Play Quake Announced 
https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410#announcements/detail/1696055855739350561

That is, unless they've just added vkQuake to the official distribution... lol 

It is talking about Proton being available for Steam games. 

I know, so now we can use Wine + a special DirectX -> Vulcan to play WinQuake :D 
Welcome Back Than!!! 

Get Over To Nu-#tf: 
Ahoy! 
https://www.gog.com/promo/20180820_weekly_sale

Seriously check it, it's good... 
Otp 
Thanks! I tried, but the invite was invalid/expired. Is there a way to just go to #tf without an invite? 
Update 
He made it! 
Terrafusion Ownership 
I've asked a few times in the discord but no one was interested so I thought i'd float it here too.

I'm not active enough any more to properly run the discord channel so I'm looking for someone to take ownership of the channel from me. 
I'll Take It, Daz! 

Or Me.... 

Fuck Fuck Fuck 
-Quaddicted has gone down for europeans
-sock's page doesn't allow me to download
anything
-how do I play maps when they're not on quaketastic
-Fuckit, I'm reading Lovecraft instead 
Newhouse 
Just replied to your message on another thread, which reminded me: When is your Blue episode coming out! >:C (Or am I just blind and it has completely slipped past my radar) 
Help For Quaddicted Host With GDPR 
Hi!

Saw this week that Quaddicted is down for Europeans because of GPDR and that help is wanted.
So, because I found no Email of the Host so there's the info and the links.

The GDPR first of all count's for business- and data-collecting company's "only" with an office in the EU.
It also can count if you're an "company" that's collecting personal data of EU-citizens. Personal data does'nt mean IP-only, it means IP + Name + ect. .
If you want to be more than sure that everything is fine with the EU a simple article about acceptation of data-use in the registration-form should avoid any problems.

Every thing to know is in the GDPR-faq's and law -links below.

Hope to see Quaddicted on my Screen again soon!

best wishes

GDPR-faq's:

https://www.eugdpr.org/gdpr-faqs.html

GDPR-law (online by chapter):

https://gdpr-info.eu/

PDF:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32016R0679 

Thanks. It's being worked on and should be back soon. 
@GunSgtHighway 
In the meantime, you can access Quaddicted content via Johnny Law's mirror
@Mugwump 
Thanks! 
You're Welcome. 

New Explanation Of Why "Quake Brown" 
Youtube recommendations brought me this video. The section on Quake contains a new (to me) explanation why there supposedly is so much brown in Quake. Timestamped for your convenience.

https://youtu.be/rN9nbGBXc8U?t=5m59s

Let's just say I'm not convinced by the explanation. Sharing this just to amuse and/or annoy.

P.S. You can visit Quaddicted via the hide.me proxy with the U.S proxy location. Downloads seem to work that way too. 

He's kind of right, by starting to talk about the palette and lighting, but he swerves off a bit I think.

It's not the brown is a super special color for the purposes of showing light variation. It's just that they needed to eat up a lot of slots in their palette to generate different brightness levels of each color that they wanted to use, resulting in a limited number of colors. 

https://quakewiki.org/wiki/Quake_palette

Arguably "brown" only has 2 rows. Colormap shows that purple has just as much lighting variation as brown.

Purple.

Quake purple. 
Quite. 

Which Is The One True Shade Of Purple? 
Are there any wads that use a lot of purple? could be a fun theme to map in. 

how come the test maps in AD are so pretty 
Purple doesn't work well at all with Quake's palette, which is why I had to use true-color external textures for Quenching Urges of Constant Killing. 
Purple? 
Fucked Up If True. 

how come the test maps in AD are so pretty

I think because sock made them (maybe others contributed or made some too).

I played the test map with the breakable windows a while back and I was surprised with how nice it looked and how much it played like a full fledged map. I guess there's no such thing as half-assing for sock. If he's gonna make something, even a test map, then it's gonna be damn good. 
Test Maps 

Test Maps
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* start_test - Round brick hub map with portals in all directions (SimonOC)
* ad_test1 - Breakables, new ambush surprises and monster reactions (SimonOC)
* ad_test2 - Egyptain blast from the past hanuted by Wraiths (SimonOC)
* ad_test3 - Hipnotic rotation; cogs, wheels and medieval fans! (MFX)
* ad_test4 - Small medieval courtyard with statues and Golems (SimonOC)
* ad_test5 - Large village square guarded by Minotaurs (SimonOC)
* ad_test6 - Tall medieval courtyard full of knights and ogres (SimonOC)
* ad_test7 - Multi level library full of teleporting skull wizards (SimonOC)
* ad_test8 - Giant runic room occupied by gaunts and droles (EricW)
* ad_test9 - Dark medieval chamber guarded by hammer ogres (EricW)
* ad_test10 - Plasma gun carnage in a giant brushwork box! (SimonOC)
* ad_test11 - Shooting range to test all projectile weapons (SimonOC)
* ad_test12 - Does not exist!!! or does it! ...

Test3 is my favorite. Test7 made for some great coop once on vacation. 
Continuing Discussion From Another Thread... 
I got curious, Cocerello, if you don't mind me asking: What degree are studying in the university? 
Esrael 
Technical Engineering in Industrial Product Design. The real name is a weird one chosen to sound more important but it is hard to translate so you'll have to deal with the previous name they used.

To summarize, we plan all the stages of creation of a new product line, be it a pen or a car, from planning the providers, to the production line, sales strategy and of course the product line's strategy and each unit's design. We don't replace the people in those departments but work as a nexus between them, and provide the guidelines to make the details together with their help.

Surprisingly most of it works of what i am studying should work for level or videogame design. Have to make a map based on that some time. 
Interesting 
So you guys would often be project managers or something? Was your first degree also in engineering?

I did my degree on road engineering four years ago. So far I haven't really thought about going back to full-time studying. Back then, studying kinda just felt like the necessary evil you have to do before getting to "do something actually useful" and getting to work. Not a very good attitude, I know.

My current job isn't very close to what I studied, but kinda touches on it. We're in charge of procuring maintenance contracts for street and park maintenance. What I mostly do is assist the other procurement personnel by providing them with data from the street and park database. I'm quite interested in databases and geospatial information. 

I'm an Industrial Engineer myself. I deal with similar things to what Cocerello mentioned though I more so do process improvements than design from scratch. Lots of robots :) Couldn't agree more about aspects of process flow being helpful for level design flow.

Also coding and robots. Some of our robots suck in that they have very little customization to the program which is one reason I like coding in so many options to entities. 
Anon Posters 
I'm thinking about not replying to anonymous posts any longer. Not the troll-y ones either, I mean the posts from ppl who are too lazy to make an account and login.

I like to know who I am helping and discussing things with. 
@LAVA CROFT 
https://discord.gg/AH5Nrc

Sorry for the kick, should have just edited your post, didn't realise it was hard to reverse in discord. 
Yeah 
Process flow and design methodology would work well for level design, even though i fear it would need to be changed a bit if we want to allow the art part of a videogame to stay strong, but as far as i know no high budget title has used anything like that, or am I wrong?

So you guys would often be project managers or something?

Project designers more than managers, but yeah, many that come out of that faculty end up in project or company management. 

It is natural to fear engagement with a superior being. 

:qthink: 
What Are Some Good (classic) Doom Communities? 
I'm looking for something like func. Fans with some game designers/enthusiasts that are quite aware of the shortcomings of the game and engine mixed in. Germany-centric would be fine.

And who here would identify with the above? 
Doomworld 
only doomworld 
Thanks! 

Jam Idea 
So we were just shooting the shit in Discord, talking about how Quake was actually straight-up genuinely scary to some of us when playing it back in 1996.

Obviously it's not scary now - but is it possible for Quake to be scary again in 2018, to those same players, without any custom progs?

So let me suggest Scary Jam:

Create a genuinely scary quake experience, i.e. actually try to scare the player, using id1 progs only.

Worth doing?

Caveat - this was just an idea I had - I can't personally enter or even manage the Jam because I'm too busy with other shit right now, but I thought this was a compelling enough idea to just float. 
Sorta Halloween Jam? 
Quite a good idea and yeah it was pretty creepy back in the day. 
Kinda 
I didn't want to say Halloween Jam because that could place an undesirable time restraint on it (unless everyone literally started it now I guess lol)

But it's kinda around that time I guess :} 
@kinn 
Great idea! I am almost ready to release a "quality of life" progs that would be a good candidate for this king of Jam. I know more than one mapper who is trying to up the fear factor and do more horry-themed maps. 

Just wanted to say good theme. I also found that the game was sometimes scary when first playing, first because some of the enemies were dangerous enough that i feared facing them (I remember hiding from Shamblers in Azure Agony), and second because the strobe lighting and dark corners and twisty layouts meant that sometimes you would get surprised by an enemy's sudden appearance (a fiend that you didn't expect and didn't hear because the alert sound was lost in the chaos).

The last custom level I played that captured any of that was Hell in a Can, or maybe some of the levels from Zerstorer. Though, they were different than the original levels that were scary kind of by random chance, because these custom levels were actively trying to set up scary scenarios. 

Once again, it's all about episode 4, which features all the aspects of Quake that people fondly remember the game by when they reminisce but hated when they first played it.

Also: keyboard only! 
Absolutely Love The Theme 
it'll be a real challenge to make Quake scary again. I think it gets so difficult once you've seen behind the curtain, to the point where you know how the enemies and environments work.

Even worse, for many of us, we know how the levels themselves are put together, or even the exact code the determines the AI behaviour.

So yeah, doing something unexpected that cuts through that wall of predictability will be a really interesting challenge. Might have to give it a go. ID1 progs is definitely the right way to go too, it's nice to have constraints. 
Cool 
Also maybe limit it to "only id textures" as well? Could be really interesting to stick to the same art that id had to use. 

means no-one would be tempted to make spoooooky textures, which i think would be missing the point. 

Once again, it's all about episode 4, which features all the aspects of Quake that people fondly remember the game by when they reminisce but hated when they first played it.

A tough truth to accept, but a truth nonetheless. Bravo, negke. 
Great Jam Idea 
Tricky to pull off, agreed, but could make for some very special maps.
Hope it happens! 
Re:#30572 
Create a genuinely scary quake experience, i.e. actually try to scare the player, using id1 progs only.

Hopefully this week, I'll be releasing a devkit that strives to maintain the id1 aesthetic but adds quality of life features for mappers including the ability to add models and sounds. I was making this for myself in order to do a "scarier" map project anyway - so I thought I'd chime in here. I think you can make something creepy with id1 progs only - it's just very hard to do without custom sounds at the very least. Add to this that many mappers are using hacks to get around id1 anyway. 

Plus 1 for quality-of-mapperlife-progs or qomp or whatever you want to call it.

Some of my favorite maps were in e4. E4m4 is probably the scariest with all its dark corners and fiends. 
E4M4 
The dark dungeon pathway with fiends in the shadows and the guillotine at the end still terrifies me. 

Hell in a Can and Ruined Nation are two damn really scary Quake maps. 
Need Some Opinions 
re: mods and version numbers. I will be releasing a devkit mod called progs_dump later this week. This is not a mod like Quoth or AD that mappers will release maps for. Instead, it's designed for mappers to create their own mods. I would like to include the version number in the folder name as there will undoubtedly be multiple fixes and additions to the devkit. There's a chance this mod will be re-written as I learn more QuakeC. So each release should be a stand alone release, not something you'd want to overwrite.

Keeping this in mind, what's better for version 1.0.0

progs_dump_100

progs_dump100

or

progs_dump

I am not a fan of the latter because I want version numbers to be very clear for the reason above.

I welcome your opinions! I just can't decide. 
I Think First One Is Better 
Second one makes it look like dump and 100 are "syllables" within a name, not name + version. 

learn git.

people can then either fork your git repo (and easily pull your changes and send patches upstream), or they can use your progs.dat file with their map packs using their own gamedir. There isn't really any practical scope for your own directory name that doesn't also defeat your stated goal.

fteqcc-specific
#pragma copyright "Some Boring Message"
#pragma flag enable embedsrc
Then anyone that opens your .dat with fteqccgui will see that message and be presented with your original source (or they can open it with 7zip or whatever for the source, but no message).
You can also pass the output of external commands in as preprocessor macros, which is a very good idea for eg 'git describe', and can make much of the version tracking automatic.

Additionally you're not limited to just underscores. hypens and dots are commonly used in directory names too.
quake -game progs_dump-1.0.0
Just be sure to avoid leading hyphens or dots. :) 
@spike 
Thanks, all good info. Yeah git is high on the to-learn list. I decided early on to hold off but a future version will be available.

Embed sources is pretty cool! 
Carry The One 
D.o.t.s. like progs_dump_1.0.0
Or undersquires like progs_dump_v1_00

Just please don't make version 1.0.9 go to version 1.0.10. That doesn't make mathematical sense to go back down a bunch of versions. Should be 1.1.0 at that point.

Also you could start with 001 as a version. 
*ahem* *adjusts Monocle* 
Version strings aren't floating-point number though. They are a series of numbers separated by dots... x.y.z, where x is major version, y is minor, z is "patch" (or something similar). It's fine and good for example for 1.9 to be followed by 1.10, if that's a minor version increase and not a major release.

/end software developer pedantry 
I Agree With Johnny Actually 
I did research it here based on how Tb2 is released: https://semver.org/ Although I doubt this will get that many patches but who knows?

Since I am a total newb feel free to share other organizational tips. I am all ears! Thanks guys. 

Nope, 0.1 is not larger than 0.1

Significant digits trump your pedantry.

I do like the versioning method as a solid method. I prefer 1.0.00 myself since minor patches tend to be more common on stable longterm projects. And for that matter, 1.00 for anything rather "trivial". 

version numbers don't have to make mathematical sense, but if they don't then they won't sort correctly. sorting correctly is a handy property that's worth willing to pay a couple of extra chars for.
that said, if you don't want to switch to double-digits then you could switch to letters instead of numbers in order to retain sort orders - version numbers don't even have to be numbers! 

version numbers don't have to make mathematical sense
Maybe not from a programmer's perspective, but for the everyday joe it's confusing if they don't (e.g. 1.0.10 can be interpreted as 1.0.1.0, which would logically be viewed as earlier than 1.0.9). 

Personally I think a typical (especially a mathematically less inclined) person would consider 1.0.10 a higher version than 1.0.9.

You guys have probably seen plenty of game patches in your day, with patches like 1.09 followed by 1.10, 1.11 and so on. 

That doesn't make mathematical sense

Have you ever seen a number written as 1.0.9? 
Touche 

you can include build number at the end too:
1.0.9.127, 1.0.10.128, 1.1.0.129 etc.
or
1.0.9(127), 1.0.10(128), 1.1.0(129)

(I'm joking, don't do this) 
Twitch.tv's Tag System Is Missing A Few 
As best I can tell, the new tag system used at Twitch.tv to help discovery does not contain a tag suitable for level design streams. This is clearly an oversight, and you can give them feedback and suggest they add more tags.

The announcement is at https://blog.twitch.tv/introducing-tags-and-new-categories-33744ef7b04f

The feedback form is at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd2ZNywaDrcRToquXhXr43krj0zLzyBE6pueNzME4iDY1bWLQ/viewform

The current list of tags is at https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mswa08a1wworo5/New%20Tags%20%28Public%29.xlsx?dl=0

The most relevant tags I can find with a quick scan are just the generic Game Development and Modded for playing a game "that has been modified to change visuals, add additional items or maps, etc." Neither of them are really about creating mods or specifically level design.

Consider putting in your two cents and suggesting additional tags via the form. I think Modding for general modding activities and Level Design for mapping and related activities would be good suggestions, and if you can think of others, great. 

Will do.. thanks for putting. Would never have know about this. 
Lava 
What's the deal with transparent lava in maps... and shouldn't it hurt less? 
Maybe It Is A Time To Say To Fuck U 
to Q dlc 
My Next Map Is Gonna Titled 
otr sucks teh shambler dick while he sucks the skackys frenches dickss 
The Upcummimg Pack 
http://quaketastic.com/files/single_player/maps/3.jpg

dedicated to shittler and his minions 
And This Is Exactly Why We Encourage Registered Users... 
...because any future posts by Spy, even sober ones, can be put in context given that insightful contribution. 
Darkplaces And Glsl Shaders 
Hello, I would like to use some vertex shaders and some post-process effects in my mod on darkplaces engine. From where should I start? I don’t have any knowledges or experience working in glsl, I just want to find some shaders from the internet or just from other games and adapt them for darkplaces. What should I know to do that? Should it be really hard? Should I learn OpenGL from the basics or should I just learn specifics of shader language in darkplaces to make those shaders work in game engine? Is there any documentation or web source where I can find full information about darkplaces shader language specifics and extensions that are used in the engine? P.S I found not much information on official dp website and if you have the documentation please share it 

Thanks for banning spy from tf. 

Playing Portal 2 custom levels and im shocked to see none from negke.

Get to it chump. 
Spy Isn't Banned... 
...or at least not by me. God knows what he's on about. 
Rofl 

@_reyond 
Inside3D has a broader input for Darkplaces, sad it is gone aside.
Still offers a lot of info.
If you look further in the archive you'll find more info.

InsideQc 
Or.., 
place the question in mapping help. 
@shambler 
i'm really sorry for my words. i shouldn't insult you and the other guys (otp and skacky).

peace. 
@negke 
I was watching your stream earlier today and noticed some blue base textures that I'd very much like to use at some point. Which wad was it? 

The textures are from the Malice TC. 
Thanks! 

UWP Support 
Does anyone know any custom port with UWP support? 
Yo 
Cool Article To Get Started Mapping In Notepad 
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/MAP_file_format

Honestly, this is a great article to understanding a MAP-file. For mapping in notepad++ this is a quite valuable resource. Let's ditch Trenchbroom alltogether!

JK, though Trenchbroom is a bit OP for creating, what is essentially a textfile.
Props to anybody, who manages to compile a thing they made in a texteditor. You'd have to be quite bored to do that. 

there was at least one map in 1996 that was made in notepad, before any level editors existed. 

And there is Preach's map that he made by hacking the savegame file: https://www.quaddicted.com/quake_advent_calendar_2013/7-12#th_december_-_preach 
@metlslime 
Yep!

I've been looking for that map for the longest time! I have quite a few of my files from around '97 and looked through almost everything to try and find it. I recall downloading and playing it. IIRC it was a rectangular map with a bunch of crisscrossed beams. 

I remember this deathmatch map that was made using WordPad: https://www.quaddicted.com/files/maps/multiplayer/daskull.zip

Can't remember the first SP map like that though.

There's this one https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/shaft29.html ... where the author comments that it was built "using a tedious coordinates script", but I don't think that's the one we're thinking of. 
Neither Of These 
The one I recall was very small. Just a room with beams you could traverse.

From the daskull readme:

1 hour, 2 minutes to QBSP,LIGHT,& VIS on a p166 32megs'o'ram Win95

:P 

What a beastly system! 
Quick Poll... 
When picking up ammo, if ammo is for a better weapon you already have and that ammo had run out, do you want to automatically switch to that weapon?

Example: you run out of cells for your lightning gun and are currently using the nailgun, you pick up cells later...like 20min later in a Swampy sized map, should we automatically switch to lightning gun? (note that Quake doesn't do lightning gun if you are underwater nor does it switch to rockets)

Please note that this is original Quake's default. 
Authoswitching Is A Bad Thing So 
no 
No 

No 
If I run out of nails but am using my SNG, I'd not want to switch back to the SG. 

never autoswitch 

That was my thinking. Wierd how its that way by default. 

is the autoswitch faster than manually changing weapons? 
14 posts not shown on this page because they were spam
First | Previous | Next | Last
Post A Reply:
Name:
Title:
Body:
exclamation
idea
flame
noflame
error
skull
beer
moon
pent
rocket
sheep
pacman
pig
cheese
worldcraft
gauntlet
crate
pitfall
pimp
smile
cool
sad
frown
oi
yay
tongue
evil
wink
neutral
q1
q2
q3
ut
hl
cs
doom
dkt
serious
cube
Website copyright © 2002-2018 John Fitzgibbons. All posts are copyright their respective authors.